need help with an aerobic septic system

Hello group, I am hoping to find someone here who has some experience with these..We just put a house under contract for my folks and the house has been vacent for several months so we want to get someone to inspect and possibly pump the septic system out. It's one of those new fancy "aerobic" ones with the pumps and sprayers and stuff..At least I need someone to show me how to work it as it has two control panels with all sorts of switches, clorinator, aerator, pumps and lights on the top. Also I see a large green "hatch" which I am sure is the main access as it says "warning, poisonous gas, do not open" and a tee handle..About a foot from it is a 4" pvc pipe sticking up with a threaded cap which I did unscrew and there was a chain attached to the cap and it then was attached to a plunger looking thing down the pipe, I didn't pull it out I just replaced the cap... I then flipped the breaker that says "pump" and three golf course sprinkler heads in the back of the lot popped up and started spraying so at least that part works(of the four breakers the only one left running was the air pump)...A couple of people told me you have to be careful as some companies tend to feed on ignorance and will try to tell you everything needs replacing and charge a fortune..The house is less than three years old.... Anyway hoping someone might be familiar with these, and might have some insight on what to look out for with an inspection or what to expect..It might be fine, but being the house has been empty since december, and was a repo my guess is it may have never been serviced.. Thanks in advance everyone... John in Austin/Bastrop Texas

Reply to
John

John, we're down 71 from you a bit, Columbus area. I don't know about Bastrop but I bet you have a county entity that inspects septic tanks as they are installed or repaired. I'd contact them and see what they could do to help.

You sure are getting into a nice area.

Reply to
J.C.C.

In Alabama Septic installers/service folks have to be certified. Advanced Installer Cert to work on this type of system.

Contact your local health department, yellow pages, or contact the mfg of the septic system if you can find a name..

It is great that you want to maintain this system!

Randy

Reply to
Randy Anderson