U NEED 2 KNOW PART P

However, my reading of the regs - well the proposed changes - was that touching an installed RCD was automatically outwith minor works.

Reply to
RichardS

looking at the link, that's an RCD protected FCU - what I'm after is the same but incorporating a switch.

Will search...

Reply to
RichardS

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:44:16 -0000, "RichardS" strung together this:

The only other one I can think of is the smiths one, , although that hasn't got a switch incorporated into it either. For the switching on and off part, press 'test' to turn off, and 'reset' to turn on. This will work satisfactorily for both units.

Reply to
Lurch

The RCD test button is used as the switch for these units.

Reply to
BigWallop

Odd - in a recent visit from our fire brigade (Cheshire), electrical fires came fifth and these were mostly due to portable heaters being left on unattended in silly places.

Reply to
Mike

When I was trawling around the stats a couple of years ago to respond to the government's consultation, I came across a comment that some chip-pan fires get included in the electrical fires figures because they happen on an electric hob (this was given as a reason chip-pan fire figures are lower than reality). A number of the 'electrical' fires in the stats are fires involving appliances which are neither faulty nor misbehaving, but simply being misused.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks, I'll probably go that route then as it means not having to chop out another backbox and re-cable to the external socket.

I had thought that we had a thread a while ago where several people said that the habitual use of the test/reset buttons for RCDs as an on/off switch was not a recommended route, but it'll have to do.

Reply to
RichardS

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:32:27 -0000, "RichardS" strung together this:

I seem to remember one of those. I think that using it as an on\off switch is possibly border line according to manufacturers. OTOH, the instructions all say 'test before use' which is effectively turning it off and on again before every use, as you would with a normal switch so I can't see there being a problem.

Reply to
Lurch

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:cnu1fp$mds$ snipped-for-privacy@new-usenet.uk.sun.com:

I'll have you know that heating a motorbike chain in a tin of lube on my mother's cooker, forgetting about it and only noticing the spitting and black smoke does not constitute misuse! Perfectly proper use of a cooker in the kitchen.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

in > the kitchen.

Why would you heat a bike chain in oil?

Reply to
IMM

I suspect for the same reason people heat lard in a chip-pan before trying to fry chips, liquid grease gets places where normal grease doesn't IYSWIM (I doubt you will though).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

He didn't. He said 'lube' - in this case, bike chain lubricant, which is semi-solid at room temperrature. AFAIR you coil the chain up on top of the open tin (so that it rests on the 'cake' of lube) and then you heat it. Chain sinnks, and liquid lube permeates the chain. Lift it out and hang over tin to drip off the excess lube.

I did it once on my mum's cooker too. Then I was forced to use a Primus in the garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2- snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

Bob, thanks for the explanation, quite correct and saved me a bit of typing. I changed over to aerosol spray lube. But the fire brigade were very helpful.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

"Rod Hewitt" wrote | I'll have you know that heating a motorbike chain in a tin of lube | on my mother's cooker, forgetting about it and only noticing the | spitting and black smoke does not constitute misuse! Perfectly | proper use of a cooker in the kitchen.

Yeah, but not of a tin of lube. They're not designed for direct heat. You should have emptied the contents into a saucepan first.

Over on uk.food+drink.misc there's a thread developing on American turkey fryers. You could do a gearbox in one of those.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Owain" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net:

Surprisingly, the tin was hardly affected. But in case there are any kids viewing, it is not the best approach. Mind, I'm not sure about my mother's reaction to lube in one of her pans.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Reply to
Rich Williams