Deep throat F clamps

looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood. To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four

120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre. Alternatives to this method are also welcome.
Reply to
Mike Cowley

Try Axminster.co.uk

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

============= I can't quite picture what you're doing but band clamps might help. They're long pieces of fabric which wrap around the workpiece and can be tensioned. They will hold irregular shapes so might do your job. A bit like the old-fashioned 'spanish windlass' principle. They're available from places like 'Focus' etc.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Have a look at Bessey clamps -

Their TGNT series come in a size range covering what you are asking for.

I don't have any of this particular series, but do have a variety of other Bessey clamps and they are very good, so I would be surprised if there was any problem with these.

I saw some at the Axminster tool show last week (I think). Axminster themselves only seem to have the 400x300 model (at £64) but would probably order the smaller one for you. In Germany, the smaller

300x200 is about ?50, so probably about £35 here.
Reply to
Andy Hall

can you use wood strips to press the joins together with the clamps you have at the edges?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Do you have a bandsaw ? If so, make your own wooden cam clamps. Beech is traditional, but even plywood works. You can make these with as long a jaw as you like, you can put lumps and bumps in to clear obstructions, and they're lightweight so you can use plenty without pulling it off the bench.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How about this?

Make a frame from two long bits and two short bits of 4x2 and a few coach bolts (or use 12mm ply and screws on both sides for the end pieces). Cut a load of small wedges and drive them between the beams to apply pressure. You could probably apply the glue then pin everything to the bottom beam to hold it in place while you drive the wedges. Use paper or plastic sheet to stop the shell from sticking to the jig.

Here ends todays "good idea" :-)

__________________________________________________________ | | | 0 4x2 0 | |__________________________________________________________| | 4x2 | _|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|_ | 4x2 | +-----+--| \ | / |--+-----+ | | wedges | 4x2 | | 0 | | 0 | +--------| |--------+ | | | |

Reply to
Rob Morley

Many thanks for your contributions. I think I'll go with a combination of the clamps I have and the ideas from mrcheerful and Rob (excellent artwork), using wedges in the centre area.

So refreshing to dive into a newsgroup and get prompt sensible answers that do actually answer the question with no abuse.

Thanks and best wishes to all of you.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Cowley