Fireplace throat

Okay so you can, if you look hard enough get throat forming lintels that support the breast and form the throat - 18 quid though! Mine is a standard 28" wide opening which originally had the curved brick top - estimated apex height 36". Depth 14". I guess this is standard. I now have no brick arch and removed the non-self-corbelling brick work above.

What is the best method to complete the reinstallation of the breast side and form the throat for gas living flame operation?

Standard 5 quid concrete lintel and half brick pillars each side of the opening is I expect going to be the starting point, that should give me the required width and height for the fireplace I'm installing. So then it's just the throat between the top of the pillars and the lintel... but how?

Oh and anyone know where you can get a sensible quantity of vermiculite from at a sensible price?

TIA

Reply to
VisionSet

I cast mine in situ in concrete.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Bloody good idea Rick, why that didn't occur to me I'll never know. I think that's what I'll do.

Mike

Reply to
VisionSet