Lintel for chimney breast

whats the standard size for the opening of a chimney where the fire resides?

Screwfix dont do lintels?

Thanks.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There isn't a standard although 28" is common. I've currently got a builders opening opened up and this one is 39" but that's quite big for

1930's but was the main fire and housed the original solid fuel back boiler. The front room was 28" for a 17" opening coal grate. You can get plain lintels from your local BM. Or is it a throat forming lintel you are after?
Reply to
VisionSet

Spot on with 28" and yes it is a throat lintel I reqiure.

Any idea of the price?

Thanks.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Good luck in locating, it is difficult. They tend to come as part of a kit including all the throat parts. See Dunbrick. They are available separately in the region of 60 quid. I cast my own.

Reply to
VisionSet

F-all. Use two roof tie bars, or a piece of slate, or a piece of paving flag, or cast iron or anything else that will bridge the gap....it's only holding half a dozen bricks, given that there's an arch further up.

And FWIW, most openings are left about 14inch wide, unless you are having an inset type of fire

Reply to
Phil L

Its a fire back type Phillip where the fires sits in the opening.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Having said that, a throat type lintel is not imperative, just simply use a flat lintel such as a piece of paving, steel or what have you, and you don't need to buy the fireback neither, normal bricks will suffice, unless you intend burning coal in there! (mine is made from normal housebricks and has been in place for 7 years without incident, they soon end up black, whatever you use)

Reply to
Phil L