typing in passcodes etc into an iphone

I have an iphone 7, with an extra ?plastic cover over the front face to protect it. To unlock it, I can type in my pass code OK, sometimes, but at other times I'm fat-fingered and don't get it right. I've tried tapping the code in with things other than my finger, like a metal screwdriver with me holding the shaft, but I haven't found anything that works other than my finger. Has anyone got anything else that works?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You used to be able to get a stylus which acted as a finger.

I used one for a while when I first got a phone but now either the screens are better or I've adapted to using my fingers.

For example

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You need the type of stylus with a conductive rubber hemisphere on the end. Somewhere, I have a pair of cycling gloves with suitably treated fingertips.

Reply to
newshound

Having the palm of your other hand in contact with the back works for me.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Thanks both. Dozens of capacitance styli on Amazon, now I know what to look for.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

A banana works if you are stuck. Just tried it :)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Hmm...useful, maybe, although carrying a banana around in my trouser pocket may give people the wrong impression! :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg pretended :

A proper stylus, made for the job?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

newshound explained on 23/12/2021 :

You can buy a version which has a metal mesh (maybe rubber under), which work even better.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You want a proper tool for this. It is generally a small air filled rubber sack that mimics the finger, on the end of a 'stick'. I have one on the end of a biro.

I seem to have fingers touch pads don't like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes...

(a) remove the plastic film

(b) protect your iPhone with one of those book-style covers*.

[* This sort of thing:
]

I've just stopped using an iPhone 7 after about three years, having replaced it with a new model. The 7 is still in immaculate as-new condition, because of that cover.

Reply to
JNugent

My PPoE used to give away pens with the little rubber dome on the end. It was OK unless you forgot to retract the pen.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Can you not simply use the one finger and the few times you need to put in your pin use a small bluetooth keyboard. You may actually find such an old phones screen is going to the wall. I'd remove the plastic screen protector and try again as those things tend to be grotty due to getting grit embedded in them or grease from the fingers. The normal glass screen is easily cleaned with a soft cloth in any case.

It could of course be that you are just one of the few who are unable to use the light touch needed to use it. One last thing. Go to the settings and make the typing mode different. Depending on the version of the OS there are several. The one I like is the slide and lift way. IE you keep your finger on the screen until you are on the right number then lift it and only then is the character input. I obviously do not know how this is indicated for a sighted user, buwith voice over on you can hear it in the phones as you move the finger and the plunk noise when you enter it by lifting the finger. Using voice over means one can totally turn off the screen and use it with voice feedback anyway. Saves a lot of battery!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Try your little finger.