Two Core Lighting Cable

On Friday, October 12, 2012 9:14:22 PM UTC+1, Wesley wrote:

First inspection certs need to be interpreted, trivial matters are sometimes flagged as serious, things that dont need doing are sometimes flagged as needing doing.
2nd reconnecting circuits to the new CU is liable to cause instant RCD tripping, leaving you needing significantly more work, inclduing partial rewiring.
Tread with wariness. Or do your own inspection, its free.
NT

Re-examine the conductors of your lighting circuit carefully in x-section. Reason being is the middle / late 60's was just when copper clad aluminium stranded cable was used for afew years. I know, I had a large house in it which required rewiring throughout.
The lack of an CPC wasnt so much of an issue with the lighting ciruits, but we couldnt get a pass on the earth loop impedance test and thus no certificate for the purposes of renting it out.
Tim..

How can I tell if I have copper clad aluminium stranded cable? Are the wires copper coloured on the outside? The wires in my cables are silver/grey in colour.
On 13/10/2012 19:04, Wesley wrote:

Copper clad aluminium would have a copper coloured surface with a silver coloured core visible at the cut end.

It was normal for cables in that era to be tinned copper, almost certainly what you have.
--
Mike Clarke

Measure a strand. The copper will be 0.029" diameter. Dunno about the ally stuff - I've never seen it.
--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I cant recall ever seeing copper plated on to Al. either.
Most flex is copper cored tin or lead/tin plated.
--
Ineptocracy

Our 1972 house had the rings in AlCu cable, with the lighting in a mixture of 3/029 and 1mm copper - all copper coloured - no tinning on any of it.
The power cable looked like 7.029, but was about half as big again as usual imperial cable. For it's size, the cable felt unusually flexible - the unwelcome first clue as to what I had.
If you cut the end of the cores and use a glass you can see the Al core, with a thin skin of copper.
In it's 40 year installation there appeared to be no real problems - no loosening of screw joints and overheating, which is what I feared. The copper coat appears to solve most of the pure Al cable problems. The PVC was in perfect condition - encouraging for the future.
The size is a problem though - two cores will go into a 13A socket receptacle OK, but three (for spurs) is a problem, and I did find some quite nasty examples, with uninsulated bits hanging out, and poor connections. The cable CPC was a single wire, around the size of 1.5mm metric, and this was a problem too, with lots of connections tending to break off from metal fatigue when disturbed.
The one good thing about it was that it had been installed in decent sized oval conduit, and I was able to replace it with physically smaller 2.5mm T&E with ease.
Charles F

The copper coat fixes the surface oxidation, but not the tendency to creep. Cracking still happens, but with less dire results. So not a great idea really.