TV soundbars

If you mean analogue, most of the ones I've seen don't. Apart from a headphone socket. So you may have to budget for a toslink to RCA convertor too. More clutter. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It might well depend on how decent the original sound is they're transmitting. Older stuff from analogue VTRs was generally not the best - and often below par due to being transferred to digital by monkeys.

I use FreeView for radio, and that seems OK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I read that I thought "Damn, something I'll have to remember to look for if this CRT ever dies". But then I remembered we watch mostly through a PVR, and they're more likely to have the outputs.

Our PVR gets used for radio more than anything else. Though it might count as clutter too :-)

Reply to
Clive George

In message , tony sayer writes

I have tried that in the dim and distant, and it certainly works, but I really, really cannot get used to the sound coming from somewhere other than the TV itself, IYSWIM. Yes, I could move the speakers, but they are where I like them for music/radio.

Reply to
News

In message , alan_m writes

Yes, I think that is the bottom line, coupled with aging ears that were never terribly good years ago. My hearing is a family joke.

Earlier this week I brought my TT down from the loft, where it has been since we moved here 14 years ago. Installed and balanced mainly because son has never seen vinyl played! I am delighted, but do I really appreciate it? Most listening is done whilst doing something else, and I am used to hearing YouTube, mp3s etc. I cannot bring myself to sell the vinyl, though.

Getting back on topic, I have the TV volume higher than other family members, and still sometimes struggle to hear dialogue, which suggests it is clarity rather than volume that is the problem. Perhaps a soundbar would help? I suppose the only answer is suck it and see.

Reply to
News

In message , News writes

I suspect that will be the problem here.

We have an Aiwa radio/tape/CD player with a good speaker set up just round the corner from the lounge TV. Lots of bass in the set up for my Dire Straits discs:-)

Perhaps I should investigate headphones as a longer lasting solution?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Having set up my turntable yesterday, the first proper record I played, for at least 15 years, was Walk of Life :-)

Reply to
News

Classic age related hearing loss. You need a massive treble boost to 3K or so, (the rest will be gone above that) and you probably have some intermodulation distortion, making it hard to distinguish one voice from another.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes, but in the average living room rather than a room dedicated to audio and video, they are probably less intrusive and less annoying to those who have to clean the place! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Possibly - although some of them are utter tat. And I don't want all that clutter in the telly-watching room.

I bought a Tannoy sound 'box' for about £100 from Richer Sounds - much chunkier than a bar and a decent compromise IMO.

Reply to
RJH

# How many people listen to a telly before they buy it?

Very few, and once you find you have a duff one, paying 400 quid for a new one instead of adding a sound bar is silly

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You have different seating positions in the same room for TV viewing and listening to music?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Liquorice scribbled

My telly might be Smart, but it's old Smart. So I'm connected to the soundbar via an optical cable.

Reply to
Jonno

If it is a problem with other family members, would you using headphones help?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few generations ago, better TVs had quite respectable audio amps built in and allowed you to just use extension speakers if you wanted better than the built in ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ditto a Cambridge sound 'base' in last year's mad Friday (or whatever) pre-Christmas shopping spree. I find it makes a subtle difference to the sound, and control it (and the TV and PVR) with a universal remote. You might have to configure the TV to tell it that you are using an external device.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Does anyone make a decent sounding telly at any money? To me, this would mean forward firing speakers. At least for MF and HF. And every (large) set I've seen these days is screen only at the front.

Not quite sure why adding a soundbar makes the total installation neater looking than having decent built in speakers in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think so, because I have the same problem watching old TV programmes via YouTube, using headphones. Which, having typed that, makes me think a soundbar will probably not make any difference. I've been watching old Morse episodes, and occasionally play the same sentence two or three times before hearing the words, rather than just the voice. Perhaps I need sub titles more than a soundbar :-)

Two people have politely suggested I have my ears checked. Well, I have, and there is no physical problem. Were we having this conversation face to face, it would not occur to you that my hearing is iffy, unless perhaps we were in a crowded bar. Having said that, son can say a complete paragraph, addressing both parents, and I'll catch the odd word. However, if he faces me directly, and speaks rather than mumbles, I'm fine.

Reply to
News

No, but the TV is off to one side, not between the speakers. It just feels odd seeing the image to one side yet hearing the sound directly in front. I suppose I could get used to it. No, I can't put the TV between the speakers, and would prefer not to move the speakers.

Reply to
News

Intermodulation distortion doesn't necessarily show up on a hearing test.

I know several partially deaf people. They all say "and speaks rather than mumbles, I'm fine."

You are half deaf, have severe upper octave losses and probably some moderate to severe distortion.

A hearing aid might help.

Cans and an equaliser will be better, Boost the 1k-3k band, Its unlikely you can hear much above that.

Learn to lipread.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher