TV oddity

OK, its a now old Samsung analogue / digi plasma TV, but recently it has developed an oddity...
Press Info and it shows the information for the previous program, rather than the current one. It is always one behind. In the info panel it shows the correct time.
So instead, I have to press Guide, which list all the channels with the current channel and the current program properly highlighted, then click Info - which comes up with the current program information. This problem may have begun with the switch to BST.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:20:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Got the same problem here. Switched on the telly at around 9.30 this evening and saw two blokes snogging. Urgh!! It was on the BBC (obvs.)
On 20/05/2018 22:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Sounds like the Jeremy Thorpe programme (Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw). Apart from those bits, I thought it was pretty good, actually.

Count yourself lucky; more especially as its old.
It seems some people with smart Samsung TV's can't get any EPG at all
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/Samsung-Smart-TV-Guide-stopped-working-after-latest-update/td-p/905435
I've got a non-smart flat screen Samsung. And the only EPG problem I sometimes get is if viewing one channel at say 12.00, other channels on the EPG for 12.00 may show " No Information Available". The only solution is to actually change to one of those channels and then all the information for those channels will appear.
According to other posts on that thread the providers of EPG information are independent of the manufacturers and if they go out of business, owners of those sets are stuck without any EPG information. Although I can't believe there can be any truth in this - ie that those manufacturers don't provide an alternative, unless the EPG provision in question was limited to specific models.
michael adams
on 21/05/2018, michael adams supposed :

Thanks!
I don't think it would be what is called a smart TV, but as above, it does often have weird characters showing in place of text in the EPG.
Two second and third, smaller digi only and less used Samsungs seem not to suffer the delayed EPG issue.
On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:20:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Tried a complete power down (unplug) and waiting a few minutes before powering back up?
--
Cheers
Dave.

No, but I will try that now...
Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :

That appears to have worked, thanks for the suggestion..
On 21/05/18 10:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Whata lot of peole do not know is that computer systems are built of analogue electronics, and as chip sizes get smaller, so too do the number of electrons needed to effect a bit change on RAM.
A short burst of cosmic rays will almost certainly flip a bit or too in modern DRAM... as will a spark nearby (EMP).
From a study done...on ECC DRAM in supercompouters
"our data covers at least tens of millions of errors over a combined period of nearly 300 Terabyte years. In addition to correctable errors (CEs), we also observe a non-negligible rate of “non-trivial” errors, which required more than simple SEC-DED strategies for correction: 1.34% of the nodes in the BG/P system saw at least one error that required chipkill to correct it."
https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/ASPLOS2012.pdf
I.e. it doesnt need a SOFTWARE bug, or indeed failing HARDWARE to make a computer go weird.
Other issues that can do it are a certain data pattern on the bus at a certain point in code execution. If the hardware is for whatever reason (age, temperature, just made that way) 'edge of spec' that pattern can push things over the edge.
--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
On 21/05/18 10:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Firher to my last post, of course wiki does it much better than I can, and gives a name to it
Soft errors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error
--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".
On Mon, 21 May 2018 10:24:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Dear me, I'd have thought you'd have been around long enough to know that a full power down reboot cures a significantly high number of "wierdness" issues with almost any bit of kit.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice has brought this to us :

Yes, true, but I anticipated it being some other issue. I was thinking too deeply :-)