Hot tip: Frying Flies

I caught one in the kitchen on my Poundland electric fly squatter, and held the killing button down for about 30 seconds. Small sparks, strong smell of burning fly flesh (yum, sanitary), but Mr fly just kept on buzzing.

In an humane attempt, I tried to crush it - but it got away. Probably in great pain, what have I done?

For future executions I recommend fresh batteries. This thing is going to come for me in the afterlife :-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Actually its a bit like those stage acts where there are lots of sparks but all you tend to get is maybe a tiny burn on the end of a finger as the voltage may well be high but the current is not there and you just get a tingle.

I feel the smell was just wishful thinking.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have one of those and when the fly gets stuck to it and starts frying I wack the swatter on the toilet seat and the fly usually ends up in the toilet bowl and then I flush it.

Booked your place in hell. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm surprised Big Clive doesn't have something on his website with a more useful power output.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have a high powered electric fly squatter ("the Executioner") and any fly which lands on it gets catapulted across the room but the tougher ones live. Amazing but disappointing.

pamela

I bought one of those from Poundland a couple of years ago, thinking it would be fun. However, a side effect of having a number of carniverous plants around the house is that I never see anything flying around. The plants do catch things in their traps, so there obviously are somethings flying around, but they catch them before I get to see them, although something like a wasp in a trumpet shaped pitcher plant can be quite noisey for a few minutes.

Many years ago (before I had carniverous plants), I bought a small insectocutor and ran it in the bedroom overnight on a hot summer's evening. Didn't get any sleep... Every hour or so, there was a click, click, buzzzzzzzzzzz, fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bang!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is another way: The Bug-A-Salt gun.

(If you are just looking for a way to get rid of them, it is neither sensible nor cost-effective. If you are looking for a *satisfactory* way, this may be it...)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer