Wireless tv solution

Hi,

I have cable but I want to use my tv in a totally different part of the house and it would cost me a lot to run the cable there. Is there a good wireless solution that would work over about 60 feet?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude!

Reply to
aaronfude

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1164949371.967646.186580 @f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Probably cost a hell of a lot more than running 60' of coaxial cable.....

Reply to
propman

Hmmm, Do you know how wide the bndwidth is to carry TV video and audio signal? You must have a 10,000 square foot house?, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Perhaps a wireless video sender will work for you:

John Grabowski

NTSC video (baseband)- a little less than 150 million bits/sec, 10-bit video, uncompressed.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

There are wireless solutions but the picture loss is noticeable. The wireless boxes will run you between 75 and 100 bucks. How much will running the coax cost? You will need to have a tv or some other device with a tuner where the coax ends to send the signal too! The devices use 2.4 ghz and can be bothered by cordless phones and microwave ovens

Wayne

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
wayne

A number of techniques exist for transmitting wireless TV around the house, but the one I have had great success with is SageTV and its' $149 wireless media modem. They use MPEG2 compressed video at around 5 or 6 MBits/sec much like normal DVDs. They transmit using the 802.11.b wireless scheme used by all of the home computer networks such as those from Linksys, DLink, etc. There are also MPEG4 techniques using higher compression to do wireless HDTV.

They have been around for at least a year since I got mine going over a year ago.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Yes, it probably would. It would also be a lot less reliable.

A wireless video link would be one-channel only, so you'd need to have some way of controlling the source, another point of decreased reliability. You may even get a free dinner bell (microwave oven interference, when picture returns food is ready).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The one I tried was nearly useless when the microwave was in use. I said "nearly" because that does provide some information (No TV, no dinner).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The wireless media modems are not "one channel only"; instead, they use a server to record the programming and the wireless modem with its' daily updated "program guide" to allow selection of both live TV channels and previously recorded channels. They are extremely versatile. I use 5 around my house, and my wife watches one program, for example, I watch a second, and it is also recording yet another all at the same time!

There are also cheap one way wireless links to send standard TV video with stereo audio over short distances of, let's say, 50 or 75 feet, which are single channel. I use to used the Leapfrog. a $79 device, to do this. It also transmits in the 2.4 GHz band, same as the Linksys computer gear and also microwave ovens and some cordless phones. It worked fairly well, but not great.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Are you referring to a DVR that you can access and control over a network?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes Mark. The server I referred to at the other end of the wireless link is a computer running SageTV software in the background, and acts as a digital form of VCR called, as you correctly stated, a DVR. This solution may be far too complicated for the original poster, and certainly costs more than 60 foot of coax or a Leapfrog RF link.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I was considering simpler solutions when I said "one channel". A lot of people seem unable to handle things like DVRs.

I do have such a setup.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd