TV: Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home

Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores the time when British people embraced modern design for the first time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood furniture, fibreglass, plastics and po lyester - had its roots in the innovative materials discovered during World War II.

Repeated Tomorrow (Thurs) 03:00 and Sat 28 May 2016 20:00, and on the inter net player thingmy.

I don't want to spoil the programme, but several subjects dear to our heart s, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just coming up more recently is the impact of bromine fire retardants on human health - for example, the thyroid.

polygonum

me when British people embraced modern design for the first time after year s of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of the postwar 1950s home - a 'modern' world of moulded plywood furniture, fibreglass, plastics and polyester - had its roots in the innovative materials discovered during Wor ld War II.

ernet player thingmy.

rts, including chemistry sets and Practical Householder, feature.

Yes, watched it. Spoilt by the Twittering Bimbos.

Reply to
harry

Indeed. The previous incarnations of the program,like the Victorian one with the arsenic wallpaper was relatively interesting so I was hoping this one would be. Nope :(

Reply to
Lee

This week victorian houses with killer staircases, bathrooms, laundries and chemicals

Reply to
Andy Burns

It said 'new' but I'm sure I've seen killer staircases, borax in milk, and gas baths before. Or maybe that was Killers Still Present in the Edwardian Home.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

d gas baths before. Or maybe that was Killers Still Present in the Edwardia n Home.

Borax is less toxic than table salt. Killers included arsenic pigmented pai nt & wallpaper, backboiler systems with no safety pressure vent, town gas l ighting with very high CO content, asbestos, tainted foods. Unregulated fac tory machinery also took many lives, and a fair bit of production machinery was used in homes then. Trains also killed many.

I don't know what the impact was of collapsing houses, traction engines etc .

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr