Insect killers

I am sure this somehow comes in under DIY...either for killing insects myself or for buying the equipment from a DIY shop!

What I am looking for is a small insect/fly killer thing that they have in restaurents - i.e its a bright light and electrcutes them

Are they effective in the home and can you get small ones for home use?

Generally just looking to kill any insect that flys into my room!

Reply to
Mo

Not very

Yes, try Maplins.

AIUI they are adapted (different light wavelengths) to attract different insects.

Ye olde jamjar with water in it is about as good a wasp-catcher as you can get without resorting to chemicals.

When it comes to wasps in the house, I *love* chemicals.

Reply to
Owain

They only work on moths. Flys have no interest in them.

Reply to
EricP

They're damned effective at killing midges, then! I've seen the one in our caravan killing over 2,000 in a single night...and yes, I counted them!

There wasn't much else to do, as I wasn't interested in climbing mountains! 8-(

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I noticed them in Homebase yesterday, around =A315 IIRC. No idea how well they work.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

I bought such a device from a local hardware shop a couple of years ago to hang in my kitchen. I found it to be half as effective as flypaper - though a great deal more attractive. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't work ( it does, at least when the flies reach the zapping mesh ), rather it just doesn't seem to be very good at luring the flies in.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I've got one from Maplins. It has killed some flies. However, what I was hoping was that as soon as a fly came into the room it would make a errr, bee-line for the unit and electrocute itself. In practice the one's that the unit has killed probably just bumped into it by mistake.

I have heard better reports from the "tennis racket" style devices. However,they do require activity from the user - which might make them more satisfying to use. If you get the one's from "poundland" they're also cheaper than the hang-up types.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Don't waste you money. They don't work on flies. I bought two and tried them for a year - absolutely no effect whatsoever. And I live in the country surrounded by cows and sheep (and hence lots of flies).

The best device for the kind of flies that buzz about the windows trying to get out is the handy dust-bug style minature vacuum cleaner. Approach fly with it already running, by the time he spots it he is in the draught, and Woosh!, up he goes. Just don't try emptying it indoors!

For the ones that circulate around the centre of the room, the old fashioned fly-swat is best.

It also helps if you can identify the kind of fly that you are plagued with, and look for their source:

TheOldFellow

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not true.

I'm not normally an insect killer but when we're in the caravan we often have to pitch where there are mosquitoes, I have a bad reaction to their bites. We use a battery powered 'bug zapper', can't remember where we bought it but it was cheap and is effective. It attracts all kinds of flying insects, including flies.

But the little noise as their little bodies are torched can be a deterrent to sleep.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They do work on flies.

Perhaps yours wasn't a good zapper.

That's very good advice.

How do you get rid of the cows and sheep around you?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So do spiders.

By asking them not to sit in the lounge with you?

Reply to
Mogga

A hive is a container for a colony of honey bees. They don't need it but it offers protection from weather and modern hives make it easier for beekeepers to manage colonies. A colony is a 'family' of honey bees, with one queen bee, thousands of workers (the queen's infertile daughters) and at some times of year a few hundred drones (males but not necessarily her sons and never her mate).

An apiary is a place where a hive or hives are located.

A bee shed is a shed with hives inside it, pushed against the outside walls of the shed and with slits in those walls which meet up with the entrances of the hives. Some hives aren't suitable for this: skeps, WBCs, catenaries and anything which doesn't have a flat front.

Bee sheds are great for keeping hives in, they have a more even temperature than if the hives are outside, they're protected from wind and rain, you don't need a roof, just a board across the top of the hive. Bees can be worked in comfort from inside in any weather by opening a window to allow flying bees to get out. They're common in northern mainland Europe.

So a bee shed is better for bees and better for beekeepers. A bonus is that neighbours don't see the hives so don't know that you have bees :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

eat them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The ones I got didn't - they did work on Mosquitoes though.

Must be so, if yours work. What make and model?

I encourage them. I wouldn't want to get rid of them, they are part of my perfect view. The flies are just a bearable by-product. As is the occasional effluvium.

Getting rid of the damn Quad bikes, that the farmers use is another matter!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Can't remember, I'd have to go into the caravan and find it - not as easy as it sounds :-)

I agree but you did suggest looking for the source of flies ;-)

What would you use if you were a farmer?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The electric zappers are effective if you use a proper one. Unfortunately there are a lot of junk grade ones about using blue/ violet filament bulbs, and those are a waste of time.

I also found a bare very low wattage halogen bulb is effective at attracting the flies, (think it was 5 or 10w) and a mains fed cockroft walton multipler can dispatch them. More crudely, the bulb itself can fry them.

If youve got =A380 to spend get a proper one, if not then a halogen zapper also works.

All fly killers will only kill the fly once its had a good wander about, but they do die.

Window use also makes a difference. When flies meet glass they go upward, so open the top rather than the bottom.

The final option is a slow release organophosphate killer, vapona style. Only effective in closed rooms, ie winter use. Cheap, works well, some safety question marks over OPs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Mary. I never fail to be astonished by the time some net users kindly give to share their knowledge and experience. PJ

Reply to
PJ

Yes. We even tried catching the flies and throwing them into the thing. Most survived and flew out again. :))

Reply to
EricP