More shed construction queries

(Oh dear. This may end up as a TRIPLE post. Sorry)

I am still fretting over the construction of my new shed.

What is the difference between OSB 2 and OSB 3 (Other than OSB 2 is more expensive on the Trademate site)? And why is OSB 2 so much cheaper per mm in 11 and 18 mm than in 8,9, or 15mm? (Am I missing something?)

Where can I buy plain timber window frames? I don't need Part L compliance, I don't need double glazing, I don't even need pre-glazing at all.

What do people suggest for flooring. I can't decide between T&G, OSB (again), and plywood.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

================================== A partial answer - window frames. If you're not going for a very elaborate shed then you don't need any window frames as such. The traditional method is to create a suitably sized opening using the actual shed's frame, possibly by inserting a couple of noggins between two uprights. Simple beads (about 1" x 1") are then fitted in the aperture to backup the glass and the same beading is then used on the outside to retain the glass.

If you can find someone doing a conservatory you might be able to beg a few offcuts of clear polycarbonate sheet to use instead of glass. Polycarbonate is safe and adequate for lighting in a shed and has the added advantage that it's difficult for prying eyes to see the contents of the shed.

My sheds have floors of 2' x 2' paving slabs - no rot.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

WBP ply (with ventilation underneath). OSB doesnt survive wetness. Theres no need to T&G boards if you use them.

Freecycle should supply glass in the form of old windows.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How do you seal the sides to the floor to stop water getting in?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I thought OSB used the same glue as WBP?

I'm sure there is both crap WBP and OSB around, the best way to test I expect is to boil an offcut.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

================================== I design the shed to fit the base so that the slabs are above ground (2" above) and the shed walls form a drip outside the slabs and just short of the ground. No actual sealing necessary.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero