making a shed quick !

Right, I am at the stage of removing my tools from the extension to complete the floor screeding etc. I have nowhere to put them ! I have a car port at the end of the garden with a "flat" waterproof corrugated metal roof supported on metal poles. It is pretty strong. It has double timber doors on the end facing rear access. I am going to make this into a shed quickly and cheaply, and initially not prettily ! I have a spare smallish double glazed window and a single double glazed door. I basically need to box in three sides and strengthen the double doors. It will never be used as a garage. I am initially putting down no flooring, just the concrete slab. The slab slopes away at the sides. I will support stuff on pallets to get it off ground. May run a row of masonry to protect the sole plates, but probably not ! Dunno if anyone wanted to know that. The real question anyway.

What is the best / cheapest boarding to use ? I am guessing OSB. I will initially just paint it. Probably eventually clad it to look nicer. I'd need about 10 1200x2400 boards. Anyone know where to get these cheaply ? Scrap boards from hoardings etc ?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I should have though OSB would be dodgy if it gets wet.

Not directly of assistance but in the past I've wondered what happens to the thick plywood that is used to protect the pitch at "stadium" concerts. Somebody somewhere must have a barn full of this stuff.

In the Colonies the material of choice is called T1-11; basically nicely finished ply (Google it!) but I have never seen this in the UK.

Reply to
Vortex6

Is this wrong ? I'd paint it with an exterior paint.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

My only practical experience was when I purchased a cheap shed, and the roof was felt covered OSB. Of course dy definition it was probably cheap low grade OSB

Once the felt on one side became leaky that pitch of the roof collapsed under it's own weight...before I'd even noticed there was a problem.

Vortex6

OSB will swell at the edges eventually but with some paint on the edges before you use it and a good soaking once built is should be suitable for the job. I used some as concrete shuttering years ago and it still has not broken down to the extent that I can remove it where it shows!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You'd be surprised. I have an old sheet that's been leaning up against the outside of the shed all winter. It's discoloured a little and warped - the latter was remedies by wetting and laying out flat with rocks on top.

I plan to screw it to the side of the shed to block up all the holes!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
TimboJWatts

Good. I'll paint the thing and eventually a membrane and clad I guess. Thing is, how do find OSB cheap but also acceptable quality ? A web search gets 18mm as low as 13 quid a sheet. Is it described as WBP etc ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would question the "waterproof" bit. It's used a lot for shed roofs - with felt over it - but if the felt comes off, it soon goes soggy.

WBP (waterproof and boilproof ply) would be a better bet, but is more expensive. I bought some recently to make a small shed for garden tools, and the cheapest I could find in my part of the country (mid Warwickshire) was just under £15 per sheet (inc VAT) for the 12mm stuff.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Right, so some is good wet, some not. Is it graded in any way ? What do I need to specify in order to get the stuff thats been OK all winter, and not the stuff that collapsed under its own weight on a damp roof ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Its incomplete - there are several grades of OSB, Those numbered with the higher numbers (e.g. OSB3) being more water resistant than the lower.

I would go for WBP shuttering ply - cheap and waterproof - does not look as pretty as a decent ply, but probably not important if you are cladding it later.

Reply to
John Rumm

OSB3 as has been mentioned.

see here:

2B to start with.

also

Dave Osborne

If its the water proof stuff you will still be waiting when UseNet has gone. The ordinary osb is not very waterproof IME.

Reply to
dennis

OSB 3 is the most durable. OSB 1 and 2 less durable.

Reply to
dennis

The only way to make a shed quick is to add wheels and a powerful engine to overcome the inevitable wind resistance :-)

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Any good suppliers ? Still seems to be 10 quid a sheet more than OSB. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I can see OSB 4 on the web, but no suppliers. This is classified as waterproof it seems. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Best I can suggest is find a local wood shop - you often find the price comes down as the quantity goes up. Last time I bought about 15 sheets of ply for lining the workshop the price ended up being something like

20% less than the single sheet price.

OSB3 will probably do if you can make sure its well painted with something waterproof.

Reply to
John Rumm

Now thats a thought ! The BCO can chase me down the street. I'll put some wipers on me little window ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What about corrugated steel like ebay 140401838006

Cheap as chips

....you said you're not bothered about prettyness.

Reply to
Vortex6

Why not buy a shipping container...?

Reply to