long pipes on roof racks - legal situation?

I may need to move some long ish (5.5metre) pipes - easiest is on the roof rack - but with a fairly large overhang.....

Anyone know Plod's opinion on seeing me on the motorway thus laden ?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

IIRC, if it overhangs the vehicle, then it must have a warning marker on it. Maximum overhang of 50cm front and rear (again IIRC, or that could be the length before you need a flag). All loads must be secure etc.

Reply to
dom

some information, though it is clearly aimed mainly at trucks.

It contains the interesting observation:

  1. The Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. These regulations are not available on the internet and have been amended many times which makes it difficult to piece together the latest form of the regulations. However these regulations are available in a consolidated format in most city reference libraries, from companies who publish law. One example is 'Sweet and Maxwell' who publish the ?The Encyclopaedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice?. This publication is continually updated and Volume 4 contains a full version of the above-mentioned regulations in consolidated format. Other possible suppliers include InterRegs, who charge around £160 for a fully consolidated version of the Construction and Use Regulations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

thanks! that link looks good enough for me.

I would hope any reasonable copper/court would reasonably cut me some slack if I reference to that !!

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

A fairly comprehensive answer here:

John Rumm

anyone know the weight (per metre) of 300mm twinwall plastic pipe offhand? I've googled but the most I get is "less than 6% of concrete equivalent"......

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK