DIY TV - am I really this sad

I used to have Cable TV and my favourite programmes was nearly always Discovery Home & Leisure, then I moved to t'country and had to give it up.

I could have got sky, but I hate the thought of giving Rupert any more millions for one the use of only one channel, I've now just discovered that Top-up channels are now available/launching (via a Freeview box with a card slot - only one available so far) and the only programme I'd pay for is going to be available.

Is anyone else a really sad case like me, and are you now contemplating going over to freeview + topup channels?

Reply to
big al - Peoples Pal

I have thought about it, but don't they use the card slot on the old boxes? We have two freeview boxes but neither has slots.

Also the range of channels is hardly stupendous for 7 quid a month.

Reply to
EricP

Disc' H&L is now crap, they seem to have dumped all the decent, intelligent programmes and just repeat the dross that has already been broadcast on the terrestrial channels and even if it is a 'new' programme they have the same content / presenters as the other dross.

And they say TV isn't dumbing own... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I think the cam slot may be disabled in the cheaper BT version ......

There is a new box which supports tutv from thomson

Reply to
Chris

"big al - Peoples Pal" wrote | Top-up channels are now available/launching (via a Freeview box | with a card slot - only one available so far) and the only | programme I'd pay for is going to be available. | Is anyone else a really sad case like me, and are you now | contemplating going over to freeview + topup channels?

Bear in mind that (a) the channels are not broadcast 24 hours a day - you only get a few hours a day of each channel (b) the times you get each channel, and the channels themselves, are not guaranteed to be present for the lifetime of your subscription. As top-up-tv only have a few slots on the multiplexes, there is a higher risk that they will discontinue some channels to make room for others.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

intelligent

Have to say I haven't watched it for about 3 years. I liked "This old house" and there were a few good RTE (Irish TV) progs on building. Got the impression there were probably far to many repeats, but they are excuses for going and actually doing some DIY.

Reply to
big al - Peoples Pal

No, it would have just made a change from the usual lolly sticks and gaffer tape! :)

Reply to
EricP

Perhaps, not looked. Having said that you can (or at least could) get the netgem cheper than the BT version from Makro...

Reply to
John Rumm

The RTE programme seems to have sunk without trace, 'This old house' seems to have taken a rest (time will tell if it returns in the Winter schedules) not to mention that programme called 'Home time' also seems to have sunk without trace. The stable diet seems to now nothing but repeats of Ch4 programmes, fishing or when a DIY slot is shown it's that idiot Tommy Walsh and his mates.

The only programme that still seems to be shown is 'The Old Yankee Workshop', but even they seem to be repeats of repeats ! :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The Salvager is pretty good

Reply to
Ric

In message , big al - Peoples Pal writes

Well I have an NTL set top box in the living room and a bog standard set top box in the office.

I'm considering getting shot of NTL as Sky one is about all I can get with NTL which I can't get with the freeview box.

I was thinking of getting a Humax PVR-8000T

got any comments?

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Do you need a sub for D H&L? or is it one of the Free To Air or View channels? If it is FTA or V(*), keep an eye open for the Sky no sub deal that was announced back in June. This should get you a digibox, card (for the FTV channels, ITV1, Ch4 and five), wok and installation for a one off payment of =A3150.

Or there seem to be plenty of boxes and cards available on e-bay...

(*)Even if it's FTV the card for ITV1 etc FTV may not work for it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Home and Lesiure advertise that their programs can be viewed on-line, so chuck out the TV.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

....and get a 2gig connection.

Reply to
IMM

Still cheeper than a TV licence, we have a 310 Gig connection at work :-)

Reply to
Rick Dipper

But unfortunately it still needs a licence... :-(

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote | > >> Home and Lesiure advertise that their programs can be | > >> viewed on-line, so chuck out the TV. | > >....and get a 2gig connection. | > Still cheeper than a TV licence, we have a 310 Gig | > connection at work | But unfortunately it still needs a licence... :-(

No, because streaming video over a computer network isn't broadcast television.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you are a company and use broadcast TV and distribute it over a computer network to your employees, you may require a license or redistribution agreement from the content owner or the original broadcaster..

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Let me know what the magistrate thinks, will you?

Reply to
Huge

I'm fairly sure Owain is right. AIUI the licence is for equipment capable of receiving TV broadcasts. This means a telly with the tuner removed so you can only watch videos does not require a licence. This means a VCR which is used record programs even they are watched elsewhere or on a B&W TV does. IANAL but downloading data is not broadcasting.

Reply to
Ed Sirett