TV colour has turned pink!

I was 'doing it' for a good deal longer than 22 years, and I wouldn't have liked you to use that method in my business. As I say elsewhere, a bit of 'judicious tapping' is an esssential part of fault finding (particularly with an intermittent problem) on some equipment but certainly not a 'good whack' on the casing. I speak as someone who began his technical life as a 'valve tapper', so I know all about 'impact maintenance', but you have to draw the line somewhere ;>)

Reply to
Farmer Giles

In message , Mark writes

Have you tried giving it a good hard thump

remember the adage - when in doubt, give it a clout

I'm not actually joking

Reply to
raden

"Christian McArdle" wrote in news:414ef96e$0$20253$ snipped-for-privacy@reading.news.pipex.net:

I was taught to use the British Standard Bash by a then reputable broadcasting organisation

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Mark" wrote in news:2r8k1tF17akghU1@uni- berlin.de:

Ther'll be a complicated series of keypresses that brings it up; there are groups like alt.electronic.maintenace (I don't mean there's a group with that particular name) could be worht google-grouping for

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Actually I know what you say to be true. In the seventies I worked at two TV factories for a spell - Saba in West Germany and ITT in Hastings - and the mallet test was certainly carried out in Germany (I can't remember if it was done at ITT). I remember being quite shocked by this because it was a practice that me and my colleagues in the trade in those days (I had worked at Radio Rentals for some years) would certainly not have carried out. It is still my view (obviously not shared by everyone here) that this is not good practice. Anyway, what you do on the production line - where you're dealing with a recently asembled chassis, which have entirely different problems to 'in-service' equipment - has little relevance to what you do with customer's equipment, particularly on their premises.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

[...]

I agree you wouldn't do that in front of a customer, but in the real world outside of the view of the customer.......

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I know people who say that about wives and girlfriends.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Said tongue in cheek, however sometimes a dry joint does need a good slap to get it to show it self. We are not talking about hitting it with a hammer. Also depends what your fault finding on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Of course it's true I've witnessed it at the end of the Panasonic production line in S.Wales. Donno if that fcatory still exists, it might be about 10 years ago.

Fairy nuff, I wouldn't hit it quite so hard if front of a customer. B-) But a dry joint or poor connection is the same no matter the age of the set, one assumes on an old set it has only just occured like that in a just assembled one. I know of several bits of broadcast kit that have X's marked on them to indicate the best "impact maintenace" point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice