TV audio improvement for a slightly deaf person

As already mentioned, there are bluetooth adaptors for most modern hearing aids, even NHS. If you use their TV adaptor, you may find that use a non-standard bluetooth profile, with less latency.

Reply to
David Woolley

That was me, having investigated the setup at a not-slightly deaf friend's house.

He and his wife watch the TV, with the sound coming to a sound bar via toslink from the "STB", The pictures are via hdmi from the STB to the TV.

There is a slight sync problem between the sound and picture, which neither he or his wife had noticed. This setup has been in use for some time. If the TV sound is turned up, there is a very objectionable echo between it and the sound bar. I am not clear why the sync difference is more noticeable between sounds than between picture and sound. I didn't have time to really go into this, as I was there to help him decide whether to return the Sony device. He has, and he got his money back.

They both like the sound from the sound bar much more than the more bassy sound from the rear-facing speakers on the TV. There seemed little point in trying to convince him to take the toslink sound from the TV to the Sony because his wife didn't like the TV sound, and he thought the TV sound to the Sony device would be as bad as the TV sound to the TV speakers.

I could have tried to get him to test it and show that he might be wrong, but it would have meant a lot of shouting, or facing him for lip reading.

In this case, at least, this shows that there is more to helping people with impaired hearing that just the technical factors.

Reply to
Bill

She's 66. Her deafness started when she had an ear infection when she was five. She hears midrange but very little bottom and reduced top.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Err, why not simply plug headphones into the headphone socket? Why make things complicated?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Remember HD and SD are effectively very different channels in the way they arrive at a transmitter. One reason why you don't get local London news on HD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/delete analogue /insert SD

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I said similar to my dad but it did mean either a 15 metre cable around the room or a shorter 3 metre cable across the floor which anyone else had to step over and made a good toy for the cats. In the end he brought a pair of TV ears.

He liked them so much he brought 2 incase one pair went wrong.

It solved the problem, he never mentioned any synching problems but I doubt he'd have noticed anyway unless it was really bad.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No reason why a delay free analogue wireless link shouldn't be OK over such a short distance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mount a pair of speakers on, to or near her listening chair. Decide if they are best driven off the TV or via a suitable amplifier and volume control.

Reply to
Kellerman

As I am now reliant on hearing aids, I have experimented with this and come up with the following:

I tried plugging a small bluetooth tx into the tv powered from its USB socket (Sony Bravia tv), but even those that claim low latency were useless as there was still an annoying delay.

I now have a small stereo FM tx powered in the same way with no audio delay(!), which is received on the FM receiver on my old LG smartphone (3 years old). The output goes to the audio line input of my hearing aid remote control which can adjust levels independently.

The smartphone has equalisation settings, but I have an equaliser app - of which there are many - and this gives fairly reasonable sound. For music the hearing aids are discarded and replaced with Sennheiser headphones.

Reply to
Chris Youlden

but it can't be delay free unless scotty from the Enterprise was involved. It does take a time to take the signal from the TVs output then convert in to modualed IR then decode that signal back in to audio.

Reply to
whisky-dave