TV Aerial Experiment

I see from your signature that you have an interest in quality ales.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thanks everyone! Now I know.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Something no-one mentioned here was the lack of a balun which could wreak havoc with weak digital signals due to standing waves on the cable. The most popular home-made types these days seem to be the bow-tie + reflector + balun design.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Does the lack of a balun actually cause standing waves on the cable?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No but it helps eliminate them :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Is there a way to make a balun that wouldnt cost more than 10p?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Suyrem if you buy the toroids in bulk. Or nick them from scrap items.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. I think the ones sold by Maplin cost less than 10p each to make :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'm sure there was a Wireless World article called "a balun for 10p" - some

40 years ago, I suspect.
Reply to
charles

In that case wouldn't it have been "for 2/-"?

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

make it 36 years ago.

Reply to
charles

This one of course!

MBQ

Reply to
alan holmes

Oh dear, my brain, such as it is, substituted the 'l' for an 'n'!

Reply to
alan holmes

Which one? This thread is crossposted.

Reply to
Adrian

Well I finally got a few minutes to spare and made one. Didnt have time to measure an existing one, so just vaguely guessed. It works, albeit rather badly. Picture is quite a lot better than it was with no gain though, so there must be a handful of dB there. Unfortunately me camera's broke though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A Yagi design isn't the best basis for a home made aerial, particularly if it's to be used indoors. The bi-square is a lot better for analogue and the bow-tie plus grid-reflector seems to be very popular for digital.

(kim)

Reply to
kim