TV Aerial Cable

The "drip loop" at the bottom of my mast shows signs of having been attacked by birds or sunlight and I need a new cable.

Am I safe to assume that putting some of that spiral cable tidy type stuff around it will not be a bad idea?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Usually used indoors, so may not be very UV resistant. Better than nothing, but flexible conduit might be better. This stuff is also weather resistant

available down to 12 mm bore.

But any sort of sleeving is going to increase the wind loading on the cable and perhaps the aerial and mast.

Reply to
newshound

I don't think anything would affect it if it protects it. Are you sure its birds? Rats and squirrels would be my first thought, but then you might say you don't have either. Maybe you have dracula mice or an undead Parrot? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Self-amalgamating tape, perhaps?

J^n

Reply to
jkn

You may as well wait until it fails completely. I have known TV aerials still work when almost all the external insulation sheath has come off. It is only when the outer copper layer wears away that it fails.

My parents neighbour still has the same cable on a south facing wall that was there when I was a small child. There is almost no insulation left on it and it now looks like corroded pale green copper but it still provides an adequate signal path. It will doubtless fail one day.

Could go either way - extra wind loading, rubbing and vibration may hasten the demise of the outer plastic sheath.

Reply to
Martin Brown