TV Aerial Cable

The "drip loop" at the bottom of my mast shows signs of having been attacked by birds or sunlight and I need a new cable.
Am I safe to assume that putting some of that spiral cable tidy type stuff around it will not be a bad idea?
On 8/9/2017 5:34 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:

Usually used indoors, so may not be very UV resistant. Better than nothing, but flexible conduit might be better. This stuff is also weather resistant
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CORRUGATED-FLEXIBLE-POND-HOSE-FISH-GARDEN-FILTER-PUMP-MARINE-FLEXI-PIPE-/171142284167?var=&hash=item27d8e00387:m:mU8SlPDDkWIsoK0Yf7w8HaQ
available down to 12 mm bore.
But any sort of sleeving is going to increase the wind loading on the cable and perhaps the aerial and mast.
I don't think anything would affect it if it protects it. Are you sure its birds? Rats and squirrels would be my first thought, but then you might say you don't have either. Maybe you have dracula mice or an undead Parrot? Brian
--
----- -
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 5:34:33 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Self-amalgamating tape, perhaps?
J^n
On 09/08/2017 17:34, DerbyBorn wrote:

You may as well wait until it fails completely. I have known TV aerials still work when almost all the external insulation sheath has come off. It is only when the outer copper layer wears away that it fails.
My parents neighbour still has the same cable on a south facing wall that was there when I was a small child. There is almost no insulation left on it and it now looks like corroded pale green copper but it still provides an adequate signal path. It will doubtless fail one day.

Could go either way - extra wind loading, rubbing and vibration may hasten the demise of the outer plastic sheath.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown