Tumble driers

Though they tend to have bigger drums, so tumble better. I had to fight a sock out of the innards of dad's dryer earlier this year, involved vice grips, a stanley knife and most of my strength, smaller hands would have helped, he'd left the fluff screen out after cleaning it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you still buy traditional vented driers? I thought that "green" rules made them all heat-pump or condensing nowadays. I didn't spot any when considering buying a new one recently but I only looked in a few places.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Plenty listed on AO

vented tend to be C rated, with the odd B rated one condenser almost all seem to be B rated heat pump ones range from A+ to A+++

Do green rules stop you using a fan heater outdoors?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Vented are still freely available and on display in e.g. Euronics. Probably less visible in e.g. John Lewis.

Reply to
Robin

???. A condensing tumble drier is a form of heat pump, surely

Reply to
Andrew

All 160 houses on the estate where I live, built between 1974 and 1978 have (or had) an additional 1/2 inch gas supply in the kitchen under a worktop. At one point I did consider getting a gas kit for my silent Electrolux fridge but eventually the thermostat went funny and it got dumped.

Reply to
Andrew

The cooling is passive, and where not all the vapour will be condensed, the air returned to the heater will be warmed, so less heating required before entering the tumbling clothes.

Either way I don't see it as being less efficient.

In the winter the drier will also heat the room, rather than shovelling all that waste heat outside.

Reply to
Fredxx

I only saw heat-pump ones when wandering around the white goods section of JL recently. Also based on my experience of owning Bosch laundry equipment for nearly 30 years I may have only looked at Bosch models.

I'm not sure I've enough minutes left on earth to see payback on the energy savings vs. purchase price on a Bosch heat-pump model :-(

Reply to
mm0fmf

Where is the cold water coming from? TDs are not usually connected to a water supply.

Not so easy on a TD with no drain connection...

Reply to
John Rumm

it's a WD

Reply to
Andy Burns

Harry Bloomfield;Esq. snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote

I'm not, it takes energy to do that.

A condenser just

But is just a very simple fan.

Reply to
John Brown

Not necessarily, most obviously with those that use cold water and a plate to condense the water out of the air.

Reply to
John Brown

John Brown brought next idea :

With heat, what about the heat? All of which is expelled outdoors almost instantly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No. It only needs a cool surface, which if often cooled by simple water contact.

Heat pumps allow for a more advanced version of condensing dryer.

Reply to
Steve Walker

One YH had a fair-sized fridge-type unit with open condeser and evaporator in the drying room (about 15' sq.) and it was very effective. I used to clean the evaporator as it was always wet and a lot of dust and fluff collected on it. The warden didn't know that it needed doing about twice a year to work properly.

Reply to
PeterC

Well it might be 5kWh for the utility room heating but not 5kWh general house heating.

Reply to
ARW