TOT: priority register on change of supplier

My supplier went into administration and I was transferred to British Gas. Soon after, I received a welcome pack for the priority services register from Scottish Power Energy Networks. I believe PSR is optional and I have never requested this (on the grounds that in any emergency I want them to focus on customers who are genuinely vulnerable).

Is there a practice of adding people to the PSR based on date of birth? It seems to me this would be questionable in regard to the GDPR.

Reply to
Scott

FFS. Are you black, lesbian, trans, mentally ill or simply wanting to create a new victim status?

Reply to
Richard

No. I am however concerned about the use of personal data in terms of civil liberties. Off topic I know, but no more so than the speed of account takeover of bankrupt suppliers.

Reply to
Scott

Civil liberties eh? Well, I guess the people having to manage the mess caused by all this energy palaver are taking into account that there will be many vulnerable individuals affected. So, they will be looking out for the older folk who have become orphans and trying to ensure they are warm and cosy. By contacting you, they have obviously not found data to prove your immense wealth and have assumed that you are one of the unfortunates. This possibly shows that they don't have intimate access to your obviously fascinating lifestyle.

Reply to
Richard

No it doesn't. It shows that they have used my personal data for a purpose that I have not consented to. They therefore need to demonstrate a lawful basis for processing. The Information Commissioner's Office has produced useful guidance:

should you wish to become better informed. If not, start your own thread so I can take the piss :-)

Reply to
Scott

But probably one required by OFGEM to identify those thought to be vulnerable. Pensionable age is one basis.

I can understand why you might prefer your power being cut-off as an alternative to an automatic transfer.

We're already taking the piss out of you:

"Make it the responsibility of suppliers and distribution networks to identify the appropriate customers for PSR services."

If you don't like that the ask OFGEM how you can opt out of PSR. But given your paranoia perhaps automatic inclusion isn't so bad after all.

Reply to
Fredxx

I am not referring to identifying. I am referring to adding a person to the register.

The PSR specifically does not guarantee continuity of supply.

I refer you to the statement in page 6: "Require all energy companies to record relevant data about their vulnerable customers and to share it with each other with the customer?s informed consent using consistent vulnerability categories."

I think you overlooked the words 'with the customer's informed consent'.

Later at 1.1 (page 8): "1.1. Under their licence conditions,1 suppliers and electricity distribution network operators (DNOs) are required to maintain a Priority Services Register (PSR) and put domestic customers from certain eligible groups on the register when they request it."

No, it is an opt-in process. See the language: 'informed consent', 'when they request it'.

And, in case you missed it, my concern is that support may be spread around too widely rather than focused on those who really need it at a time of emergency.

Reply to
Scott

Are you sure you have been registered for PSR and that it wasn't just an information pack inviting you to join?

I got one from SPEN too, so perhaps they're writing to all customers before the coldest part of the year when they're most likely to start turning our lights off.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I don't see how relevant that is. There is no guarantee of anything in this life apart from death and taxes.

No I didn't overlook anything. When another company take over an account, no consent is needed for the transfer of personal data.

OFGEM think otherwise and place the onus on the company, as an extract from a document of theirs suggests.

Better chose a company with a pedigree of staying solvent.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's not. When you mentioned being cut off, I thought you were referring to a consequence of not being on the PSR. Agreed, not relevant.

With respect, I think you are overlooking the distinction between transferring data between suppliers (for which there is a statutory basis if there is a change of supplier) and placing a person on the priority services register (which is optional and therefore required consent).

Of course it did have when I chose it. Now I do not see the relevance of your comment :-)

Reply to
Scott

Yes, because it was a text referring to 'someone in your property' being registered.

Interesting. I have emailed their data protection team, so it will be interesting to see what the conclusion is. I did not mention in my OP that I previously made a request for removal.

Reply to
Scott

How many more times do you have to be told that OFGEM oblige companies to identify vulnerable consumers? Maintaining the same old mantra is like burying your head in the sand.

If you don't like it, then complain to OFGEM .

Then you should have regularly reviewed your choice.

No, you probably don't.

Reply to
Fredxx

I get that. They identify vulnerable customers. They offer to place the vulnerable customer on the priority services register - which is OPTIONAL - and the customer says yes or no. You obviously don't understand the words 'with their informed consent'.

Why would I do that? It is the Information Commissioner's Office that enforces data protection law. Anyway, Ofgem says informed consent is needed and I agree with that.

On what evidence?

If you are suggesting that each energy customer now has a duty to carry out due diligence on the suppler, I think you misunderstand consumer law as much as you do data protection. .

Reply to
Scott

Given that the company of your choice probably placed you on the register any truck is with them. Bit late now they've gone under.

Either way you have been identified, perhaps they shouldn't have claimed to have put you on this register and all would now be well.

And it's OFGEM who sets out the rules of identifying vulnerable customers. I'm sure they did so in collusion with the ICO.

There is no duty, but perhaps you should?

If a supplier of good disappears from going insolvent, you do generally have to find another supplier. Energy is unusual in the the customer is free to choose the best unsustainable price without any repercussions.

Reply to
Fredxx

Perhaps I am not so up myself so as to enable piss taking ;)

Let's just say that if I were as aggrieved as you with the data being out there, usenet would not be my first port of call. Quick analysis of *your* situation: You took advantage of the means to "cheaper" energy, "took control" and switched. Judging by your level of "entitlement", you have probably switched more than once. Reality struck and you are now feral, at the mercy of whomever now has control. Now is the time to whine.

*My* situation: See all the hype of "switching". Having been around and realised that most anything hyped is worth avoiding, I left everything as it was. Yes, you and other switchers would label me as being stupid for overpaying. Maybe so, maybe not. In this thread, only one of us is whining.

Feel free to take the piss...

Reply to
Richard

Maybe the NHS should run priority services, they always ask for your date of birth! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I also think they struggle with the concept of blindness as well. Everyone who is disabled apparently needs a wheelchair according to some airports. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

People criticise them for their slowness and their practices, but all they are trying to do is help people out here, and of course benefit from the misfortune of the original company. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'll give you that one :-)

True. I was just interested when I saw the other thread about billing transitions. I have now contacted data controller.

Actually no. I changed once and this was for 'social' reasons. Ofgem switched me the second time.

As I said, my concern is that if people are put on the priority services register indiscriminately, such help as there is may not be focused on those who need help. There is absolutely no need for people from Scottish Power to turn up at my flat with emergency heating or to help me reset appliances or to contact me about how long it will take to restore supply when they could and should be helping people that really need help in an emergency. The 'whine' is on behalf of those who may lose out.

I changed to a not-for-profit supplier that was created to assist those suffering from fuel poverty, since you ask (Ebico / Robin Hood Energy).

I think we may have been at cross purposes.

Reply to
Scott

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:57:52 +0000, Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk>

wrote: [snip]

Okay, let's leave it at that. I have taken the matter forward and I am happy to await the outcome.

As I said to Richard, my concern is that if people are put on the priority services register indiscriminately, such help as there is may not be focused on those who need help. There is absolutely no need for people from Scottish Power to turn up at my flat with emergency heating or to help me reset appliances or to contact me about how long it will take to restore supply when they could and should be helping people that really need help in an emergency.

Reply to
Scott