TOT: priority register on change of supplier

Actually they do - based on need, not date of birth which is exactly the point I was making in the first place :-)

As for blind persons, there is a story I believe to be true when a fan contacted Ibrox (Glasgow Rangers) and asked if it would be okay for him to bring his dog (which happened to be a Labrador). He was told this was fine. When he arrived, the steward took him by the arm and started guiding him towards his seat.

Reply to
Scott

The point about Date of Birth is that it is an identifier.

Reply to
charles

Yes, I realise that.

Reply to
Scott

<snip>

Probably.

Unfortunately the country, if not the entire planet, is now at the stage where people in positions of responsibility (aka potential scapegoats) are making decisions based on damage limitation. Not wanting to be "outed" as being discriminatory in any sense, they err on the side of caution and use the shotgun approach. Hence anyone being of a certain age/gender/colour gets it.

Reply to
Richard

I think we can agree on that. Given the proportion of the population now over the age of 60, if they were all placed on the priority services register, it would be a very large register.

At risk of creating further controversy, I don't think everyone over pension age should automatically receive winter fuel allowance. The money should be going to those who actually need it.

Reply to
Scott

+1 and add to that the 'Christmas Bonus'
Reply to
Bev

Perfect world, yes. Trouble is that the older folk are in general more proud than they probably should be. To prove that there is a need requires means testing. There will be a large proportion of those who genuinely do need who do not wish to admit it. Then we come back to your particular problem of data protection...

Reply to
Richard

I do feel energy companies get hit either way, through identifying vulnerable people as per OFGEM requires or allowing vulnerable people go through the net.

At the end of the day, energy companies don't generally go out of their way to make things difficult.

Yes, lets leave it there.

Reply to
Fredxx

I can remember my work experience week when I was 16 and it was with the local electricty board.

I went out with someone who was making safe a piece of electricity grid equipment, which was an oil filled transformer that was due a mineral oil change.

At the fuse cupboard that that particular transformer powered, there was a metal panel just inside the door with engravings of the full names, addresses and telephone numbers of customers served by that transformer where their life depended on that transformer such as dialysis people with home dialysis equipment etc.

The idea being they could be contacted beforehand and provided with alternative power during the planned power outage.

It also served as a useful list when teh mergency crews went out to investigate a power cut and they could quickly identify customers who were dependent on their power.

Mind you, this was over 30 years ago so I expect itas all changed now, and the water companies have a similar list for those who actually need water (kidney dialysis requires water so I am led to believe)

Reply to
SH

Did the document you received explain why you had been put on the priority registed? There can be many reasons, if it was just because you or someone in your house has reached pensionable age Scottish Power likely won't do much.

What I would like is for Scottish power to send text messages about power cuts and what progress they are making to fix them. Has anyone managed to arrange this?

Reply to
Michael Chare

I've been getting text notifications from Scottish Power about power cuts, as well as follow-ups after, to make sure my power has been restored.

Reply to
S Viemeister