Trenching cost

When I moved into this house (in 1977) I dug a trench of about that size by hand, You need a "trenching spade". The fun bit was the ridge of ironstone part way along.

Reply to
charles

The soil you remove will have been compressed. You won't get that compreession when you return it.

Reply to
charles

I've done shorter than 15 metres, I think the shortest is probably about 5 metres. I have a Kubuta STV36 compact tractor and it has no problem at all pulling the mole plough.

Reply to
Chris Green

Maybe, depends on how well compacted the backfilling of the disturbed soil from the trench is and probably what that soil type is. I can imagine compacting a heavy clay is somewhat harder than a lighter sandier soil.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In the absence of any actual experience I'd probably do it in a number of layers working up and down the trench 4 or 5 times and compacting it with a length of 4 X 2 (along with thick gloves) as I went.

Then into the car and down to the gym so as to get full value for the extortrionate annual fee. Not.

michael adams

michael adams

I think it's the 'standard' half a metre or so, thinking about what it looks like (can't be bothered to go and measure it) probably a bit more, 60-65cm?

Obviously you don't sink to that depth instantly, it wouldn't be very useful if you did, pipes and cables have to have a gradient from where they enter the ground.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's the advantage of a trenching spade - it's only 3½ inches wide at the bottom

Reply to
charles

Groundworks contractor I use reckons dug soil bulks by a factor of 3 (Herts.) Clearly returned soil will be partly re-compacted.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Is the latter because the electricity has to run downhill? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Because there are currently broken paving slabs on top. If digging anyway it would be nice to replace them with ones with decent foundations. It also means access is possible in future if needed.

While I'm creeping this scope, it might be nice to install fresh water and drains too... (and I'd like a pony for Christmas)

Given the amount of prep you'd need for a mole, does that work out cheaper than just digging a trench for this distance?

I'm not sure a mole allows much space for lagging of the pipe (32mm is the pipe diameter, but it needs lagging outside of that).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Pissed at this time of the morning Jim? Seek help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not if you simply shovel it back in, no.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No, you get more. There is still a shallow ditch in my lawn where a mains feed was laid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At 1m depth surely it?s frost free (or are you piping hot water)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hot water (and return).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

So how do you explain your inability to spell a common name? That stinks of brain damage due to alcohol abuse.

As does that. You really should seek help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ah - you invent your own words, then?

More signs of brain damage. You really should seek treatment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ah - right. Something else you've invented. Try looking up how and when 'duh' is used.

You're too far gone for the men in the white coats. A consultant in a suit would be more to the point. But he would need to be very good indeed to diagnose you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

For clay soils you usually see bulking factors between 20% - 40%. So if its compacted well on the way back in, you ought not have that much spoil to clear.

Reply to
John Rumm