Trades people on the fiddle

Not if I paid cash. They don't know who I am.

The valuable data in Tesco's archive is that accompanied by a Club Card number because that uniquely identifies the personal details of the purchaser and links them to other purchases.

Reply to
Andrew May

Andrew May :

AAMOI does anyone know whether supermarkets use credit card numbers for the same purpose, and if not, why not? I'm more interested in first-hand knowledge than in speculation or guesswork.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Apart from those who've swapped Club Cards with other people to deliberately pollute Tesco's database. And yes, those people do exist.

Reply to
Huge

Supermarkets have no access to the personal details of the card holder, so connecting the number to purchases doesn't buy them anything. If they could do it via CC numbers, do you think they'd bother issuing loyalty cards?

Reply to
Huge

The recent release of a completely innocent lad, banged up for murder (I can't recall his name) followed a sustained campaign by the Eye. They have highlighted some serious injustices over the time I've read it (about 30 years too).

Did they ever get a refund over Sonia Sutcliffe ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It wouldn't be allowed under PCI-DSS rules.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But could they hash the CC number (where the hash had a high probablility of being 1-1 but not reversible) and use the hash?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Including Lockerbie.

That was the weirdest. I'm pretty sure I read an early report in the Eye that when the bodies were being gathered, a lot had their hands and feet chopped off - never heard about it again, and always wondered what the significance if any might be.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I suppose so ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Huge spake thus:

They can and do print out "instant" tailored vouchers with receipts; these could be formulated by examining CC data although I suspect that loyalty cards are the usual route.

Reply to
Scion

So that'll be "No, I haven't heard of the Laffer curve", then.

Nope, I have heard of it, and you are right I didn't quite get my reply right

The laffer curve postulates that a greater percentage of total revenue will be collected if the taxation rate is lower

It's still says nothing at all abort reaching the point where no-body at all tries to fiddle the system

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In your opinion. Which has exactly zero relevance to anything. Even if you do put "IS" in capitals.

Reply to
Huge

So propose some *practical* changes to address the situation then. At present you're just bleating.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is the nub of the point, really. So far what I've seen is a number of people jumping up and down and going on about "morality". You could have a justice system based on that, I suppose. I understand they have it in places like Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Precisely. I'm glad *someone* gets my point.

Reply to
Huge

There may not be any *practical* solutions since the people who would have to draft the laws also have the sort of ultra-high earnings and net worth that make these artificial tax avoidance schemes worthwhile.

Cameron did a great job of shooting himself in the foot with this one since the press will now be looking again very carefully at the offshore tax arrangements of all his large party donors.

For instance Lord Ashcroft and the don't ask don't tell saga:

doesn't even begin to describe the different treatment of a random overpaid comedian vs a major Tory party donor mate of Cameron.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not only a point you will probably never reach, but in fact for various reasons, you probably never want to reach either.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you use both at the same transaction, then that gives them a heads up on future transactions made without the club card. However whether there is much value in that is debatable.

Reply to
John Rumm

So propose some *practical* changes to address the situation then. At present you're just bleating.

I can't accept your assertion that I am not entitled to bleat about something without actually proposing a solution - arguably bleating about it is the solution if the resultant "shame" causes the miscreant to change their ways (general comment, not in reference to any specific person or crime).

I do actually have ideas for a solution, but as they can't be implemented retrospectively, they have no place in a discussion of things that have taken place in the past.

tim

Reply to
tim.....