Trade emulsion

Have you noticed there is a bit of help from Dulux to answer this question about Dulux products, on the Dulux web page under Frequently Asked Questions? I am not much wiser after reading it though; different consistency because professionals like to thin their paint, both are "made to the same ... specification" but have a "different formulation".

Don't buy any own brand paint - trade or DIY. The price looks cheap but per m^2 of finished job it inevitably works out more expensive.
But if you mean Dulux Trade it does have a different consistancy. I think this may be because professional painters thin the paint to get it on faster so it needs more pigment.

and
standard
cheap but

I think

on faster

I usually buy Dulux or Crown, I have experienced how rubbish shed brand paints are so avoid them. Somebody told me Albany paints are pretty good but I have no experience of them so I am wary of using them. there is a colour I like in National Trust paint, but as I am doing the hall and stairs of a 3 story house I would have to sell my soul to the devil to be able to afford to buy enough. Albany have (what looks like) the same colour, but am very wary as I have never used it before.
So.......this may be another daft question but if I use trade paint and don't thin it down is it likely that I may get away with just one coat (the colours are very similar anyway)?
Angela

I doubt it.
I've just painted the downstairs receptions using Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion, and even painting on an even base of fresh brilliant white matt there was no way that I could achieve an even coating using just one coat. This is pretty good paint, but even this required a second coat.
I used to use Dulux Trade pretty much exclusively when decorating, but after lengthy conversations with the decorator in the family switched to Leyland or Johnstones, and I don't notice the difference - in application or finish (and I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to decorating). The difference that I do notice is in the price - not far off half the price of the Dulux.
Albany falls somewhere in the middle of the price IIRC. There's a Brewers near us, and though I've used it once I don't really like it as a store because they only sell Dulux and their own brand - Albany - in the trade paints. They're not particularly cheap, either.
If I were you I'd go with two coats, and not thin the paint (I never have, and to my knowledge the decorator doesn't, either).
-- Richard Sampson

Trade emulsion is very low quality breathable paint, more like distempter than vinyl emulsion. I think many people are fooled into thinking its a good safe buy because its called 'trade.'
Leyland do some good quality paints, and at sensible prices. See screwfix.com. Dulux I've had very mixed results with, and their prices can be a bit stupid.

No chance. If not thinned, no chance, unless youre unfussy about the finish. FWIW I'd avoid the so called trade paints except when going onto fresh plaster. Theyre simply carp.
Regards, NT
G&M wrote:

I disagree. Having recently had the whole of the living area of our house re-plastered including ceilings, I can vouch for Wickes' Trade white emulsion. Applied by roller it covered all walls and fresh plaster in a single coat applied by roller.
That's 2 x 6x4m rooms with ceilings.
--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!

but
But the current price of Dulux White emulsion in B&Q and Tesco of all places is cheaper than Wicke's own brand. So unless the Wickes one goes further ...

places
Wickes isn't actually that bad. I've used it before. However, I just use Dulux Trade now. They'll mix it up on the spot to any colour you like.
Christian.
AK wrote:

Trade is generally a higher specification in terms of opacity. I've been using a lot of Dulux trade magnolia and white recently (vinyl silk/matt respectively). You can't get much better, you can easily get much inferior. The white needs a good stir before application. Some Crown (cheaper) I got for an extra ceiling was IMO crap, thin and runny needing three coats! Get vinyl emulsion if you can, it lasts better and is easier to clean. It should have "vinyl" written on the tub, avoid very low VOC paints! IMO these are not so good. Brewers do an "Albany" range which is good too, I like it nearly as much as the Dulux trade range.
The "trade" term also tends to mean that the paints respond well to good application techniques - "DIY" paints tend to have non- drip formulation etc, which I find a positive barrier to obtaining decent results.
J.B.
AK wrote:

Very little. Traade is at first site cheaper, but its basically usually just thinner anyway.
We gave up and went for all Farrow and Ball. may be a little more expensive, but its solid pigment all the way through.

We're talking about own brand filth here, though. Proper brand trade paint is a superior product. It's worth finding your local Dulux or Crown Trade counter to buy it.
Christian.

Quite - I was going to say exactly that. The sheds do sometimes carry Dulux trade. I always use Dulux trade liquid emulsion as you get a better finish (once you have got used to it).
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Mike Mitchell wrote:

I'm with you on this one, until you get to conservation-type paints prepared in small batches with high production costs - then there are better things to put on the inside of domestic buildings than mixtures of chalk, fat etc. anyway!
J.B.
AK wrote:

Trade emulsion is thicker in constsistency and has a higher pigment level. Why? Basically because a painter is expected to achieve a higher standard of work than a D.I.Y. paint user and the paint does what the painter can't. Trade emulsions do vary in quality but most achieve a higher quality finish. It should also be remembered that shed retail brands (Dulux, Crown) are lower in consistency & pigment to attract D.I.Y. users with attractive prices. Trade brands (again Dulux, Crown etc.) are generally higher in cost both productive and selling but you should remember you do genuinely buy quality in most cases. Own brand shed paints have improved over the years but don't be attracted with low prices. Own brand Trade paints are acceptable but again low price doesn't guarantee high quality.

If you buy the "mixed in store" colours, the Dulux ones say Trade Emulsion on the base colour can and these are thinner in consistancy than the standard Dulux stuff.

snip
Not always true the base. Some B&Q stores use Trade base and others standard base !!!!
We had a problem with our lounge piant, got a Dulux tester mixed, colour was fine by SWMBO. Went to store said "yip I'll have 10litres of the colour of this sample please". Got home opened one 5l can, wrong colour very clearly, dozy staff had mixed using wrong shade base. Opened second can, looked OK, put on wall. Colour dried different from sample.
Went back to B&Q and found out that sample was mixed using standard base and 5l mixed using Trade base and machine should change the mixture to compensate. Fault reported to Dulux. Meanwhile got 100's pounds of B&Q vouchers and went to another B&Q store where after more cans of incorrect base shade eventually mixed up 10l of correct colour paint using standard (non trade) base.

I used Unibond bathroom and shower sealant from the local shed. Expensive at 8 quid a go but it's so bloody waterproof it's v.difficult to smooth it after application 'cos it sticks to *everything*. Flexible too, the only thing that broke it in our case was for some reason the shower tray managed to drop a few mm (don't ask why, I dunno yet!) and the stuff stretched and broke the grout on the surrounding tiles resulting in much leakage.....
The moral to this tale is if yer tray doesn't drop this stuff is good! IMO obviously.
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs