How to destroy your DeWalt DW566 SDS drill - 6 easy steps

1. Find a nice big wall you wish to knock down.
2. Put on appropriate safety gear. This is really important. As a minimum, you need a good dust mask, preferably a 3M activated carbon one, and some thick leather gloves.
3. Proceed to demolish the wall, and feel pleased at how easy a job the DeWalt is making of it.
4. Make sure that you spend at least half the time holding the drill by the body, specifically with your hand covering the vent slots. Don't worry, you won't feel the excessive heat because you're wearing leather gloves.
5. Carry on demolishing the wall for about 1 hour. After this time, you will notice that your drill has lost some performance. Remove your safety gear to investigate.
6. Marvel at the unbearable stench of burning insulation, and at the extreme efficiency of your mask which meant you couldn't smell it before.
What to do next:
Presumably you still want to demolish the wall, right? Get in the car and drive to the nearest B&Q (40 min drive). There you will discover that the only SDS with rotostop they have in stock is the PP one. Buy the PP drill for £25, and go back home. Finish demolishing the wall, all the time marveling at how heavy this bastard is compared to the poor DeWalt.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

The moral of this story is that you should not pay excessive amounts of money for badly designed kit when you can spend next to nothing on badly designed kit.

✖
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:13 +0100, Grunff wrote:
<6 point tale snipped>
Oh dear, easy done though. First outing of my Bosch SDS could have ended up the same way if I had worn gloves. The vents are just where you want to hold it... My mask is also a dust and organic solvents one, very good it is to.
Must be a sturdy wall if it needs an SDS once you have a hole through at the top, I'd have thought gentle thumps with a lump hammer would dislodge each brick/block no problem or maybe a bolster at each joint.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I managed to avoid doing it for two years! Just got carried away today :-(

It's those bizarre 2' long black blocks again. Surprisingly strong.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

DeWalt.
I decided to cut out the middle bit on digging my recent trench in a concrete floor and bought the £25 PP one to save f***ing my same DeWalt on a job it's not really up to, assuming that I could still finish up the job by turning the heavy PP round and using it as a hammer to hit the SDS chisel it comes with once it had died.
However amazingly it's still working !! As you say it's far too heavy for normal work and it does vibrate your hands a lot but as a breaker it is good value.
But before I get too carried away singing PP's praises, the casting cracked on my sliding mitre saw today so that's got to go back - again !
Add pictures here
✖
G&M wrote:

lol - good plan.

And so much noisier!
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

As a decent replacement, have a look at the Bosch Multidrill.
I've had one of these for a while and use it quite a bit.
You can use it for conventional, SDS and core drilling - there's a quick change chuck. It's very quiet indeed.
It's a 4kg drill, but so well balanced that this is not a problem - I've used it all day before now. I don't need to wear gloves with it from the vibration perspective either, although I tend to for safety reasons.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

I've actually considered one of these. I played with one at a local tool shop. It does seem to be a very well thought out drill.
My only problem with it is the weight - I wouldn't really want it as my only SDS. Ideally I'd like to have it as well as a 2kg DeWalt/Makita/Bosch. There are always occasions when single handed operation is needed, and a 4kg makes things unnecessarily difficult.

The core drilling would be most handy, since I've had to hire an sds-max for the cores I've done so far.

This is quite a recommendation Andy. I think I might have to put my case to SWMBO. She understands my grief over the loss of my DeWalt, and may well be amenable to a double SDS purchase at this difficult time ;-)
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

Certainly single handed it would be challenging. I haven't had any significant situations at this point where I've needed to use the SDS or core capabilities other than with both hands, although I did use it to put some Rawlbolts into the garage floor one handed.
I suppose if I did have to do much one handed work, especially high up, getting an additional 2kg model would make sense.

You just need to tell her how much you are saving. Show the list price and then the typical on-line price. Women do this regarding clothes all the time.
The key thing is to relate it to a project of interest to her that will be done sooner as a result.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

I can tell you've studied this a lot. I like the second point, and will try this one out.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

Of course. The other one is to obtain a list of long, medium and short things that she would like doing. It's quite surprising how many that seem trivial to you (perhaps because they can be done in ten minutes but you have run out of tuits) but which are angst to her.
Do a few of those as well and you're in business. Obviously look for those that will need the tool that you want to buy.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
✖

Ooerr, as you might say.
--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

Or the opposite 'surely it can't be a three day job to put up a curtain pole'?
Well dear, after I have hacked the plasterboard out, tacked a batten in to that end, replaced the plasterboard, skimmed it, sanded it, and applied two coats of emulsion, that's the two days, and then we have to go into town to get a hacksaw to cut the other end to the correct size, find that I just knocked a brick out drilling that, which as to be glued back in place with car body filler, since we threw all that nasty old cement and sand out that was littering the garage floor didn't we dear.."
Or the previous 'partner' who insisted she wouldn't stay in a house where the toilet had to be flushed with a bit of bent coat hanger, (the bearing surface of the cistern having seized and worn away to preclude fitting a new flush mechanism) and who presented me with a 15 quid cistern one fine saturday morning with the smug air of someone who has done 99% of the job.,...and the ensuing weekend where I removed the old cistern, found the new one wouldn't fit, without drilling lots of holes on the wall for outfall, managed to end up knocking half a dozen bricks out of the wall being a shoddy jerry built extension, cemeted those back in, replastered the wall, repainted the whole bathroom because I couldn't match the paint, and, about two weeks later, I had done the other 1%....

Or contrast the occasion when I nailed through a water pipe. SWMBO thought it a great disaster. I just swore, ripped the plasterboard off AGAIN, nipped out and bough a pair of sliding couplers, soldered em back on and tacked the plasterboard back in place, missing the pipe this time. About an hour all told, and no need to plaster since I was tiling anyway...
No. I have a strict policy of NOT doing 5 minute jobs, because all of them have been done. The next job is a 5 week one, minimum.

Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

And are therefore not easily taken in by this ploy

Since SWMBO spent all of yesterday ferrying wheelbarrows of rubble down a 100m slope to the rubble heap, I think she may be able to work that one out for herself ;-)
--
Mrs Grunff (we are ALWAYS watching)

Add pictures here
✖

Drat. Caught.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

And yet, she's all up for buying two SDS drills!
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

So I trust that you've ordered both already before she changes her mind
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Hall wrote:

Not until I find out if the DeWalt is economically repairable. If it is, I'll just get the Bosch. She won't change her mind - she's very hands on with all DIY stuff, and does appriciate the value of quality tools.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖

Beg pardon?
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

✖
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have to be careful here, she will probably read this later.
BTW - result. I phoned a DeWalt parts centre this morning, and the armature is £26 (inc VAT + delivery!). It will be with me tomorrow morning. That just makes me want to buy a whole big load of DeWalt tools.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
✖