Best trade emulsion?

A while since we painted anything, but we used to get a 10 litre bucket from Ridgeons which was recommended by local trades.

I think it was Armstead which is apparently owned by Dulux.

Currently in the North West and Ridgeons is an East Anglia firm.

So looking for a recommendation for a proper trade emulsion, please, and trying to avoid the so called "trade" emulsions you see in the sheds which seem to be normal emulsion watered down to make them cheaper and require many, many coats to cover anything.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Can't all products containing the word "trade" be prefixed with "so called"?

Reply to
Graham.

I've recently used "Crown Trade Clean Extreme Stain Resistant Scrubbable Matt" for the first time - it's very different to the emulsion that I've used before (from the sheds) and I'll be using it when we get to the next room.

Reply to
nothanks

Dulux, Leyland, Armstead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Could be the trade wants something not only cheap, but only lasts long enough to cover any 'warranty'. To keep the return business coming in.

A DIYer might be prepared to pay top dollar for the very best possible product.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't shop in sheds. Leyland "Trade contract" from Screwfix is fine.

Reply to
newshound

Just checking, not sure why "Trade contract" is £17 while "Trade vinyl matt" is £30. I just used a tub of the Magnolia "Trade contract".

Actually on reflection I think it was "Leyland Trade Silk Silk emulsion magnolia", but anyway it was £17 for 10 litres, and covered very nicely.

Reply to
newshound

The trade primarily wants something which will cover well, because labour is the main part of the cost. They want a decent life because they won't get the repeat business if they use bad stuff. They don't want something with a price inflated by advertising.

Reply to
newshound

Also trade counters should have this proviso as well, Trade has come to mean anyone at all I feel. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

McPherson trade is very good, but best I have come across is Leyland Contract Matt - high degree of solids.

Reply to
rick

Look for your nearest trade decorator centre, be it Crown, Dulux etc. They serve retail customers, not just trade. I wouldn't imagine that there's much to chose between their paint (and I worked for Crown a few years ago).

Reply to
Peter Johnson

possible

Which you won't find in a DIY shed. Top dollar for thin and watery stuff, yes but not the very best possible product.

Yep. I use Dulux Trade bought from one of the Dulux Trade Decorator centers. On bare new plaster you could get away with two coats but three is better. The first one *has* to be watered down otherwise the plaster draws the moisture out too fast and the paint film ends up too thick and badly adhered. On previously painted walls of similar colour one coast will do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

There is a Dulux Decorators' Centre nearby.

My view so far is that you may pay a little extra for the Dulux brand because of the consumer advertising. however for trade matt white emulsion the difference is likely to be a few squids per 10 litre tub.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

unfortunately you pay a whole pile more for dulux. I've mostly dropped them & go with Leyland & other good ones.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd try Leyland if I knew where to get any... One plus point for Dulux Decorator Centers is that they offer free same (or next)(*) day delivery which is handy when they are a 60 mile round trip.

(*) Working days only. Order before 0930 for same day. £50 ex VAT mimimum spend non-account holders. No minimum spend for account holders.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
tabbypurr

SF will post, but I now have three "shops" in relatively easy reach.

Reply to
newshound