Toyota Auris, no spare wheel

In message , NY writes

On both my current vehicles, the spare was transferred from my previous vehicle. Because of this stupid fashion for thin tyres, they differ from the rest of the wheels on the car, but have been declared OK.

What seem to have come in in the meantime are these idiotic aluminium nut covers that come with one flimsy plastic "puller" in the boot to get at the real wheel nut.

I am told they are purely decorative and I can take them all off.

Reply to
Bill

You can do that yourself. You may however object to the cost and the space it takes in the boot - but if you want that reliability, you need to take that trade-off.

Wheels are enormous these days - the reduction in luggage capacity from carrying a full size spare is significant, especially in a small car.

Or you could make sure that when you buy a car, it either has what you need or you include in the budget and capacity calculations the DIY option.

Reply to
Clive George

I think it must be 20 years or more since either the mrs or me had a puncture that the tyre shop would repair. It's aways too near the edge, nail gone in at the wrong angle, or just backing the car out of the garage has "damaged" the tyre wall. "Sorry sir, it'll have to be a new tyre, can't repair that one"!

Reply to
Davidm

Ford seem to go half way there - my Focus has got a 'get you home' spare wheel but no jack or wheel brace, so I'd have to call a garage or the AA to change it. Might just as well have saved the weight and luggage space.

Reply to
The Other John

In message , at 13:05:22 on Fri, 22 Apr

2016, tim... remarked:

It's got to be better than fitting it in the middle of the road.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:31:08 on Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Davidm remarked:

A tyre place repaired one for me two weeks ago.

It was actually in for the tyre to be fitted the other way round as it was apparently one of those with a specific rotation direction and been incorrectly fitted by whoever a previous owner used as a tyre emporium.

Anyway, they said it had a slow puncture too.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The trouble is that tyres on modern vehicles are wider and it makes a big difference. We have a Focus mk2, which we bought 2nd hand. It had a full sized spare, but we asked the dealer to swap it for the spacesaver from another Focus that we were looking at there. The reason was that the wider full sized spare needed a foam insert on the boot floor under the carpet to give a level floor and that 2-1/2" to 3" was enough that our double trolley would not fit properly in the boot.

Even now, years later, losing that much boot space would be the difference between getting a big shop (for 5 of us) in the boot or the kids having to have bags on their knees - unless I took out the stuff that I've got nowhere else to store and want in the car anyway.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Most can be repaired. It is just that tyre places only offer patching of the tyre by the simplest method and that rules out repairs to the sidewalls or the shoulders of the tyre. A proper place, that can do a vulcanised repair, can do repairs in these areas.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Just what KwikFit do. Mind, I've never seen them adjust it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They can, but its not legal to drive on it if they do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC temporary spares are not to be used if you are towing, so they're a waste of space if you ever tow.

There are so many things on a modern car which are not user repairable - especially by the roadside - that including tyres in that category doesn't seem like a big jump (as far as the manufacturers are concerned).

Reducing the weight of the car by supplying a space-saver, or no spare at all, means better performance figures.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Of course there is no self interest in that 'recommendation' at all.

Reply to
3899jk

From what I can find (there are a lot of contradictory statements), the central 60 to 70% of the tyre (the minor repair area "T") is what most places can do - they do not have the equipment for anything else and they normally simply state that the tyre cannot be repaired. The remainder of the tyre, around the shoulder and down to the rim protection bead (the major repair area "W") can only be repaired by hot vulcanisation and almost no tyre places are set up for it. It does however appear to be legal and some places can send tyres off for such a repair.

As it happens, I had a normal repair to area "T" done a couple of years ago and while sat in the waiting area I found a leaflet. The contents of the leaflet were in agreement with what I have managed to find online.

Reply to
Steve Walker

This post thread started in 2009. Can those viewing via other portals see that date? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But not so tight on alloys.

Reply to
bert

On the Focus (incl. C-Max) the jack, brace, towing eye and fuel funnel are all located in or under the spare, depending on year.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Not in my 58 reg they're not! Maybe the previous owner or the dealer removed them.

Reply to
The Other John

I'd be amazed if any maker supplied a spare without the means to change it. Secondhand car could have anything missing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just got a 'New S-Max' (their name). I had one previously that had no spare wheel, just gunge in a bottle and a pump; luckily I never had to use it.

The new car has a spare (wind it down from underneath the car), and the 'bit's (jack, brace, funnel) are in a compartment under the driver's seat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It sounds it.

You can pick them up off eBay for around £20 and would be worth having if you're carrying around a spare wheel without one!

Reply to
Mathew Newton