Tower Bridge

I recall a TV programme from a couple of years back when some chap was getting shown round by one of the engineers that look after the bridge. He was allowed (under close supervision) to stand in the doorway into the chamber as the bridge was raised. You definately wouldn't want to be caught in the chamber, the bridge wouldn't even quiver as it crushed you.

Reply to
Davidm

It's a smaller room!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I went in about 2000. It wasn't exactly guided, but as you went round there were set piece you could stop for.

I didn't see that either.

There are lifts now. Given the Victorians, I'm rather surprised there wasn't some provision.

Apparently they couldn't agree on the design for the stone facing, which is why it's so mixed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you can get to watch "Building Tower Bridge" by the same Rob Bell on the Channel 5 player there is video of the bascule descending with him stood in a service passageway inches from it.

Reply to
John Bryan

That was in an episode from Rob Bell's earlier series 'Britain's Greatest Bridges'. It's available at

The scene you mention is about 28 minutes in.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Cracked Chinese glass bridge.

alan_m

Hmmm. Many years ago, a friend of mine who is into classic minis told me that in one part of the Haynes manual, it has the classic line "Reassembly is not necessarily the reverse of disassembly."

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well, you wouldn't want to put old filters and gaskets back.

Reply to
jon

Doesn't work for ping-fuckits either.

Reply to