Totally OT - Pub Food

A nice thing about a holiday is being served properly even in an inexpensive restaurant. Why do we put up with having to queue at the bar with our table number in the UK? I am sure that if they had a roving waiter with one of those electronic things that transmits the order to the kitchen they would sell more food as people would be more inclined to order extras. Nothing worse than getting to the head of the queue at the bar and then having to go back and ask "Is that with peas or beans?" I hate it after a meal when grandson decides a sweet would be nice and I have to go back to the bar and repeat the process. If there was a waiter we might all have a sweet every time and another round of drinks.????. (Gripe over)
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 2:12:28 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

er

en

s.

ver)
That's what you get for eating at a pub pretending to be a restaurant, alon g with microwaved food more often than not. There are plenty of inexpensive restaurants with table service, there are plenty of pubs with restaurant s ections with table service. Take your business elsewhere if you don't like the level of service offered. Don't forget to tip your waiter if he has don e his job well.
Philip
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 06:20:03 -0700 (PDT)

Yup. We have two pubs in our village, one of which has always had a waitress-service restaurant included, the other is a spit-and-sawdust pub, in which the owner now serves food in the evenings in the lounge. He is often the waiter. Both places take your order at your table. I don't even know of a place locally such as is described by DerbyBorn. Must be a provincial, or big city, thing.
--
Davey.

Trouble with the restaurants with table service is that too many of them aren't cheap (especially the puds), and they substitute tasty food with presentation. Whereas within some limits I doan, in fact, give a fuck how its presented.

Oh you philistine.
Didn't you know "you eat with your eyes"
(no, I don't buy it either)
tim

Well exactly. I eat with my gob and taste with my tongue. This expensive, limited portion, beautifully presented but not much taste to it, modern approach is for the birds.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where

Is it not down to prices? There are pubs that serve food, and restaurants. Yes, there are pubs with restaurants, but the restaurant is not the pub.
Personally, I like pubs that serve food, and don't mind ordering at the bar, but don't go at busy times. We tend to eat relatively early.
--
Graeme

DerbyBorn wrote:

Ha! It sounds like you haven't been to one of those places in Italy where you have to pay the cashier without the benefit of a menu or the ability to see or point to what you want, then take the receipt to another counter where the food is displayed so that you can place your order and hand over the receipt. They're a nightmare for anyone without reasonably good Italian.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
On 09/07/15 20:49, Mike Barnes wrote:

Italy? That sounds like something from the Soviet era!

I don't think they had one of those there. It's a good way of minimising theft.

It was a common way for the shops to be organised in Russia in those days.
rather awkward if you don't know what you want is called. standing one side of a bakers at the cashier trying to pint to the loaf across the other side you want. Then going and getting it and waiting to find out wht it was that you actually bought.
--
Chris French

It used to be the way that it worked in many shops in the UK up until the 50s
staff just weren't trusted with money and only the guy locked in the cash kiosk could touch it
tim
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 17:16:52 +0100, tim..... wrote:

True...but some of those were butchers, etc. where it was done for hygiene purposes.
OTOH, my mum worked in the Co-Op from the age of 14. At 16 she was trusted as a cashier (ca. 1944) and worked at the end of one of those vacuum tube setups (and, on bad days, in the 'overhead wireway' booth in the basement where theer presumably wasn't enough 'suck' to get stuff to the cashiers' office on the top floor). That may have been mistrust of the shop floor staff, or simply security.
Of course, she *had* to laeve when she had a child (me).
On Friday, 10 July 2015 18:33:41 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

also a lot of people would have shopped daily (because of lack of refrigeration at home) but had a weekly or monthly account, so the cashier wouldn't just be handling cash but would also be writing up each customer's ledger.
Owain

are. Our village butcher still has mini office wheer the cashier takes your money. Mind you, you get the meat first.
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:57:35 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Did you ever go to Foyles in Charing Cross Road up to a few years ago? That was run in the same sort of way.
They paid their junior staff peanuts, and on one occasion they had a meeting to discuss unionisation. They weren't allowed to have it on the premises so they went somewhere else. Management photographed everyone who attended. Staff never lasted more than six months.
Because of all this, they never trusted the staff. So, to buy a book:
1) Browse shelves and choose book. In the technical aisles this wasn't always easy due to the Byzantine 'organisation'. 2) Take book to assistant. 3) Assistant writes out a 'chit' stating the amount due. 4) Take chit to cashier at other end of the floor, and pay (cashiers were scarce but presumably a bit more trusted). 5) Take stamped chit back to assistant and collect book.
[27 lines snipped]

Stuff used to be "organised" by publisher, IIRC, rather than topic. I haven't been there for a few years, since I (i) don't work in London any more & (ii) as a result my dentist isn't opposite Foyles any longer.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 44th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 21:01:22 +0000, Huge wrote:

That was it...I'd forgotten.

I don't go as often as I used to. I believe it has now 'modernised' a bit. But I used to go in Blackwells instead, where I happened upon the reprint of the famous 'Lions' book (which then went out of print again).

and Foyles itself has moved down the road into modern premises.
On 09/07/2015 21:54, Bob Eager wrote: ...

It did, however, sometimes result in finding a fascinating book that you would never have actually looked for.

They were probably locked inside the cubicle.

--
Colin Bignell