Totally OT - Pub Food

True...but some of those were butchers, etc. where it was done for hygiene purposes.

OTOH, my mum worked in the Co-Op from the age of 14. At 16 she was trusted as a cashier (ca. 1944) and worked at the end of one of those vacuum tube setups (and, on bad days, in the 'overhead wireway' booth in the basement where theer presumably wasn't enough 'suck' to get stuff to the cashiers' office on the top floor). That may have been mistrust of the shop floor staff, or simply security.

Of course, she *had* to laeve when she had a child (me).

Reply to
Bob Eager

also a lot of people would have shopped daily (because of lack of refrigeration at home) but had a weekly or monthly account, so the cashier wouldn't just be handling cash but would also be writing up each customer's ledger.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well exactly. I eat with my gob and taste with my tongue. This expensive, limited portion, beautifully presented but not much taste to it, modern approach is for the birds.

Reply to
Tim Streater

are. Our village butcher still has mini office wheer the cashier takes your money. Mind you, you get the meat first.

Reply to
Charles Hope

DerbyBorn posted

Because it's much quicker than the traditional continental system of:

  1. You sit at a table and wait for the waiter to bring the menus;
  2. You wait for the waiter to come and take your orders;
  3. You wait for the waiter to bring your food;
  4. You wait for the waiter to clear away your plates;
  5. You wait for the waiter to bring your bill;
  6. You wait for the waiter to come and collect your payment;
  7. You wait for the waiter to bring your change.

As others have said, there are plenty of pubs and restaurants that have waiter service, if you want it. Personally I avoid it if at all possible.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

/Dave Plowman (News)

*Is there another word for synonym? /Q

Er... Equivalent??

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In article , JimK writes

Look it up in a Thesaurus.

Reply to
bert

Do you get much fraud?

Because they can copy down your card number and the "secret" three digit number off the back, and then put anything they like through.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not if they want to stay in business

Reply to
Charles Hope

So which of the many pubs was it that copied the numbers down?

My colleague is still trying to sort out some fraud that happened to his company card last Christmas.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I use a diffeent card in different pubs - so I'd know.

Reply to
Charles Hope

I burned my CV2 code off with a soldering iron (after memorising it). It's *never* needed if a cardholder is present. And I would be highly suspicious of any cashier who commented on it's absence.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I always thought you shouldn't let your cedit or debit card out of your sight for that very reason of copying down the details.

Reply to
whisky-dave

IIRC, when C&P cards were introduced, there was a brief campaign by the banks pointing out that using C&P meant there was now no need for your card to leave your possession at all.

However, it was interesting how many smaller establishments then rearranged their checkout areas to necessitate the cashier "help" you by taking your card and putting it into the reader for you.

As I say upthread, obliterating the CV2 number means you can let your card out of your sight with impunity.

Reply to
Jethro_uk