TOT: The Fishlake flood

When the area hasn't flooded for 100 years it's unlikely that people will know exactly where the floods when they come are deepest.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

lat time I got cut off by floods I put on shorts and took off my shoes and socjks and wqaded to see if the fdDfeneder could makle it through one road.

I decided I was nearly wasit deep and no, that was dumb.

The river level monitors provided by DEFRA were as much use as a chocolate teapot. They told me I was flooded. I could see that out of the window

They didnt tell me if it was getting better or worse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bill, ignore the armchair experts. I enjoyed your first-hand account of the floods but I fear that you are casting pearls before swine here. You made the fatal mistake of not mentioning Brexit which is apparently now a requirement in this group.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You also need to know your car. Some 25 years ago I drove through a flooded bit of road which I'd being doing for years, but this time my new car stopped in the middle of the flood. It turned out that the engine's air intake was ducted from below the front bumper!

Reply to
charles

That's why most SUV/4x4 vehicles (and for ever on Land Rover) the air intake is at the upper back of the offside front wing!

Reply to
Woody

Not quite. My Series I had it under the bonnet!

Reply to
Bob Eager

my car was Spanish and we all know the rain falls mainly in the plain. Previous cars had the air intake on top of the engine. I took my Anglia through 18" of water with no problems.

Reply to
charles

DEFRA? Didn't think river management had ever been under DEFRA.

The Enviroment Agency have been rivers etc for a long time and thier site has pluts of river levels for a long time. It the plot trend is up, assume it's going to get worse... Be aware that the update period from a given gauging station is variable, no point in sending a level every 5 minutes when the level barely chnages for days...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The riverlevels site provides historic data from EA monitoring stations

Andy Burns

I thought DEFRA WAS the environment agency.

says it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ish ...

"EA is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs."

Andy Burns

One of the earlier Peugeot diesels had the air intake in one of the wheel arches. If you went through a deepish puddle, some of the splash went into the air intake and that wrecked the turbo.

One of the people I worked with was not at all pleased!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Ditto. His may hav been a citroen. Destroted the engine anyway

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was very lucky, my engine was cold. No damage after the water was drained out, Mind you I got the manufacturer to pay for the tow & work. There was a whole section in the owners handbook entitled "Driving in adverse conditions" with no mention of flood water.

Reply to
charles

My best schoolfriends father owned a Ford garage and going by the appalling door, bonnet and boot fits of stuff that came out of Dagenham in the 1960's I'm surprised you didn't end up with very wet feet.

The aircleaner was one of those saucepan-shaped things on top of the engine so unless you were creating a massive bow wave the engine should have been ok.

Reply to
Andrew

I think in those days, Peugeot and Citroen used the same engines.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It is 'mock' latin anyway and doesn't translate into english. I believe there are a number of variations but the one I used seems to be the most common.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I see. Hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Twice now we've noticed that the river level monitor on the internet has been suspended/stopped working at times of danger.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thank you. I'm glad someone has a bit of common sense and decency.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright