TOT: The Fishlake flood

It wasn't part of the plan to get flooded either, but given the one, the other is almost inevitable given the limited capabilities of normal family vehicles.

Reply to
Java Jive

I was only suggesting sitting tight while the flood is present and not needing to be "rescued". The services hands are probably better employed manning the pumps, sand bags, diggers etc. or rescuing those that are in *real* danger, even if that is down to their own stupidity.

Once the flood has subsided after a few hours you can just squelch out through the muck and destruction to alternative accomodation, if you're lucky. As you describe staying on would not be very pleasant at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why do you need heating? Does this house suddenly and magically lose all the duvets/blankets/winter clothing etc when the flood waters appear?

Same with food. I guess if a household lives *exclusively* off take aways there might not be much food or drink in the place. Even so going without food for 12 hours isn't a problem for the vast majority of people.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a street of bungalows. My daughter's house has a bit of an upstairs but it's basically a bungalow. In previous years they'd been warned that if the bank behind the houses burst it would probably cause a deluge that would seriously damage brick houses.

No, perfectly apposite.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You know nothing of the topography.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You failed to mention any of that until now. Of course that does change things.

No, the threats are entirely different, requiring different responses.

Reply to
Java Jive

I know what *you* wrote, which was that they did indeed get stuck on the way out, and had to be rescued by a "frail old man" driving along roads lower than the water level brimming over defences! I rest my case, m'lud!

Reply to
Java Jive

But it doesn't always and how do you know how long it's going to last?

Reply to
charles

It running up the stairs to escape the foodwater, who is going to take the contents of the larder with them.

Reply to
charles

It's not as though floods are usually *that* sudden! Usually you get some sort of warning.

Reply to
Java Jive

You don't, but if it's going to last a long time, the emergency services will arrange to rescue people stranded in their homes. That's much easier and safer for them to do than to reach a stranded car in a remote location.

Reply to
Java Jive

"rescued".

majority

Anybody with even a little common sense(*) living in a flood zone would have some dried/tinned food stored upstairs, along with some means of making hot drinks/food heating and decent, long run time, light sources. Waters do rise quickly but again those with eyes will get half an hour or more warning by simple observation, time enough to get more perishable foods moved like milk and fresh fruit.

(*) "Common sense" is remarkably uncommon unfortunately.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

reason to

Near the path of the water from the failure. I haven't heard that the flooding in Fishlake was down to the collapse/failure of flood defenses so assume the flooding was the result of the defenses being over topped. Which begs the question given that the EA have river gauges all over the place have lots of previous knowledge how a particalur strech of river reacts to heavy rainfall why wasn't a Flood Alert or Flood Warning issued. And as there appears to be a concern that failure of the bank would be catastrophic why a Severe Flood Warning wasn't issued and evactuation recomended.

Well I'd initially stay put but keep a very careful eye on the situation both of what is happening in regards to the fire and the state of my exit route. If I felt getting out was better than staying put I'd get out regardless of the "offical advice".

Like wise looking out of a window at a flood defense at the bottom of the garden with a narrow stream of water running down the dry side, I'd propably call the emergency services, get others to warn less able neighbours to get out and try to stop it before it erodes the bank too much to be unstoppable. I wouldn't hang about if my efforts wern't working though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It would be unpleasant and a bit worrying if you didn't know how high the water was going to rise and whether or not the building could resist the force of the flow. Some pretty nasty failures in Newcastle floods of

2012 where buildings foundations were undermined. eg.

Bulk moving flood water can be very destructive. Once the floods come you have the additional risk of manhole covers blowing off leaving what are effectively deep dangerous man traps in otherwise wadeable water..

Clean drinking water is much more of a problem. You can go for a couple of days without any food but dehydration is a serious killer.

Anyone with any sense will boil water for a Thermos and grab all the coffee, biscuits and snacks they can carry before the flood arrives.

If you live in an earthquake zone you are expected to have potable water stored just in case. I don't see why it should be any different in a flood zone. Vulnerable people probably shouldn't be doing it but fit healthy adults can amazingly survive in a house without central heating.

Reply to
Martin Brown

When they left their house there was no water deeper than six inches. The problem was that they ran into some that was a bit deeper later on (and between you me and the gatepost I think they panicked a bit and speeded up!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

One street in Fishlake is still in quite deep water, and no amount of pumping seems to clear it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

At 1pm the EA told Fishlake that there would be no significant flood. So when the first few trickles appeared people didn't react very fast.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

To be honest, your attitude is beginning to irritate me. If you'd seen the distress and sheer human misery in Fishlake and Bentley you might have a less holier-than-thou, supercilious attitude. Not everyone is as bloody clever as you claim to be, so when a lot of folk got caught out like this try to express a bit of sympathy, if you have enough humility in you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Haven't they got eyes of their own? They were on the spot and could see water coming towards them, and didn't bother to *do* anything?

Reply to
Java Jive

Well, what a stunning surprise *that* must have been!

I think you're on a losing wicket with this, Bill, the more you tell us the more thoughtless, even reckless, their behaviour seems - what if

*you* had come to harm trying to rescue them?
Reply to
Java Jive