TOT; Question

If someone is run over crossing the road, their fault, they walked out in front of a car & were killed instantly. Nothing suspicious, just an accident.

What would happen to their personal stuff like keys, wallet, watch, spectacles etc?

Would the Police collect them & the relatives pick them up? Or the undertaker?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well in the case of a neighbour, they ended up at the hospital where they took the body. The police then investigated it and decided on no post mortem and the body was released. However before that occurred the next of kin were allowed to have the possissions that were not actually on the body, like rings, as they often have to be removed afterwards unless the relatives decide to let them go with the body.

So the ananswer is, it depends in many ways, certainly when my mother died of a sudden stroke, I collected most of her belongings at the hospital, and the rings from the undertaker, as in that case as with all sudden deaths the police were called but took no action other than to come to the house and tell the next of kin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The death would still probably be regarded as suspicious, until such time as the police and or coroner were completely satisfied that it wasn't.

In such cases I'd imagine a post mortem would be required to determine if nothing else, whether the deceased was drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time. And if so, whether this was entirely of their own volition.

Getting someone blind drunk and turning them loose near a busy road might be a good way of solving a difficult problem, I suppose.

I wouldn't imagine any undertakers would get near the body for a good few days.

michael adams

michael adams

IIRC police do that stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since your son-in-law is a policeman and you've not asked him what the police would do, are we to assume you've run some over and stolen their possessions? ;-)

Just out of interest, how much was in Unbeliever's wallet?

Reply to
mike

Not me guv. (He' asleep, just finished a night shift).

Two ten shilling notes, a white £5 and seven and six pence in change :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ROTFLMAO

'twas not I Mike - but you did "take the words right out of my mouth" (as Meatloaf would sing) with regards to asking his SiL and your assumption of his deeds and I bet he'd be banging the deceased's front door and asking if he could do the body disposal (for the 'handyman's' fee of course [transporting the deceased in his van extra] and a few rather silly questions posed to uk diy on how embalm the body, dig the grave or build the cremation pyre) - and he'd probably use petrol to light it!

But the Medway Hand Prat was never over-blessed with brains.

Have a good new year.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Now look what you've done Mike. You've woken him up. The stake through his heart must have worked loose....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If someone is run over crossing the road, their fault, they walked out

My only experience is when MIL died suddenly. All services involved insisted she had not been wearing a gold watch or rings. The watch and engagement ring were specifically mentioned as left to her grand daughter in her will, and none of the family could remember an occasion when she did not wear either.

They were simply never seen by us again!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Exactly the same with my father's gold signet ring.

Reply to
charles

That really really is sad. You'd have thought someone who stole from a dead body would do it often, so easily caught?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was assured that my Grandmother's ring would go to nothing in the cremation process. I've since found out it wouldn't have been touched - the temperature is nowhere near high enough.

I suspect it went rather earlier than the cremation.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris