TOT packaging waste.

Reply to
alan_m

Its hardly a green policy transporting a lorry load of air in un-crushed bottles!

Reply to
alan_m

True. But it may depend on what the kit is that the recyclers have for separating stuff. For different plastics, does their kit rely on reading the number inside the little triangle? If so, crushing may hide/distort both the number and the triangle.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<snip>

The few presents we got (from daughter) were wrapped in plain brown paper. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I continue to deflate them a bit, but no longer totally flatten and fold them tucking top into bottom, hopefully they're still recognisable as bottle-shaped.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wrapped some of mine in smoothed out Amazon space-filler brown paper.

As I didn't need my "emergency present" this year, I've now got one ready wrapped but unlabelled for next year!

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I don't mind if they give me a bigger recycling bin.

Or I could just stuff the excess recycling in the landfill bin! :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Here you have to pay to have a larger rubbish bin, but since they changed to fortnightly collections, you can have a larger recycling bin (or two small ones) FOC.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup, I was using the exact same for packing up some of daughters delicates the other day and re-building Amazon boxes I'd flatpacked 'in case'. ;-)

Cool.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fetch back coal fires.

You could burn the lot on them and send a letter to Santa.

Reply to
ARW

They only do one size here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If there is a machine that can do that reliably, at a decent speed, over a 2' wide conveyor belt covered with randomly oriented, random plastic bottles, trays, caps, lids etc I'd be *very* impressed.

On quite a lot of things the moulding is not very well defined and/or is tiny (couple of mm across). I fairly recently saw something on the telly that encoded what the plastic was into the plastic as a whole somehow (maybe a micro pattern?) that could be quickly and easily machine read.

And to quote from the recycling leaflet from our council:

"Please make sure all recycled materials are clean and free from food waste to avoid attracting wildlife and vermin. Please rinse and crush plastic bottles and cans as much as possible. There is no need to remove labels. Please also flattened cardboard as much as possible."

Surely that should be "Please make sure all *recyclable* materials are clean ..." they haven't been recycled yet.! And do they mean crush all cans or only plastic ones?

Might email them again, last time they was about the blue bags still having the previous years Christmas/New Year changes on them in September and for this year having day and date mismatches (eg today would be Tues 30th Dec 2020) on three days around the the same period.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message <rsfuuo$qml$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> writes

To overcome the 'black plastic' problem, Waitrose have changed their own brands to light grey.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

There's also now near-IR detectable black plastic packaging which can be detected and sorted in the same way as others.

Reply to
Robin

Is it worth the effort, seems about 30p/kg at moment, how big a box of crushed cans do you take in?

Reply to
Andy Burns

TBH I don't know how many kg there was of cans in the last lot of "scrap" I took in or indeed if it was cans or foil I think it was the latter. I got £93 quid for various amounts of copper, brass, 4 alloy wheels and either ali foil or cans. It'll probably be another 5 years before I take anything else in...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My brother regularly weighs in scrap in the NE of Scotland. I've absolutely no idea how to go about it here in London. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News