TOT: one for you scientists

No, he specified that the water is at boiling temperature when added, therefore it requires no heat to reach boiling. Effectively the amount of heat needed is just what it takes to heat the peas. Of course this is all simplified, since in fact there will be a loss of heat from the hot water. A thorough treatment would need detailed calculations of heat loss through evaporation, convection and radiation, calculations that cannot be made from the information available. But I don't think the OP intended that.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Peas are so quick to cook, why use a microwave at all? Boiling or steaming only takes five minutes from frozen.

Reply to
Max Demian

Am I the only one that puts a cup of water into a pan, brings it to the boil, adds frozen peas, then empties the pan as soon as the water's boiling again? It saves all the faffing about with the microwave and boiling a kettle and leaves it free to cook other stuff. I will admit it's a lot quicker to do now I've gone back to cooking on gas....

Reply to
John Williamson

To pick up on threads passim, I doubt it is quicker than induction on super-charge setting ... :-)

Mostly I do microwave with no added water, but occasionally heat in pan with a little water. It is so much easier to microwave, IMHO, guess time, zap, done, ignore until needed. On hob requires an eye open and stopping it when done to avoid overcooking - which is often when several other things are happening at once.

Reply to
polygonum

Cause you have to heat the water to boil/steam 'em.

Some one else has already pointed oout there is enough water on frozen peas to just bung 'em in a bowl, cover an nuke for a few minutes. No need for any additional energy absorbing water that you pour down the drain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly. Just shove them in the kettle.

Reply to
Norman Wells

They won't fit through the filter on mine.

Reply to
John Williamson

No, you take the lid off, put the peas and water in, boil it up, strain the peas on the filter as you pour the water out into your teapot, then transfer peas direct to plate.

What could be nicer than a cup of tea and a plate of peas?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Best for green tea.

Reply to
polygonum

Unlikely.

There is a lot less faffing about to tip as many frozen peas as you need into a cup and zapping that in the microwave.

It doesn't need to be free to cook other stuff, you just put the cup of frozen peas into the microwave with the other stuff.

Still takes longer than the microwave does.

Particularly when you just put the cup of frozen peas into the microwave with everything else being cooked.

Reply to
Simon Brown

No I use it for the gravy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The instructions on frozen peas say to add a little water to them before microwaving ...

Reply to
Huge

Yes.

And replaces it with even more faffing about.

Reply to
Huge

Yebbut but the instructions on how to make packet soup, custard and gravy from powder are also wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yebbut they should say "throw them away and make some proper soup/custard/ gravy."

Reply to
Huge

[snip]

I am rendering down a cow for gravy over the next several days in time for Sunday lunch.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A plate of peas *without* the cup of tea. The smell of most tea makes me feel mauseous.

Reply to
John Williamson

How mouselike?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Help is at hand

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

experiment /experience proves you wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher