TOT: Gavver

In Maidstone & Medway "gavver" is a slang term for police. As in "look out, the gavvers are coming".

I believe it's a Romany word, but I'm not sure.

Does it occur anywhere else in the UK?

Reply to
David Lang

I have no idea, but the police in Ireland are called the Garda from the Irish 'An Garda Síochána' (On GArda shickORna) meaning keepers of the peace, often just 'the guards'.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Research reveals it is.

Allegedly used mostly in Kent.

However if you have time on your hands, this is an interesting read

And of course shows exacter how much benefit widespread immigration of Romany peoples has had on Europe.

AS in 'I cant think of a single example'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a corruption of 'gaffer' (or vice versa), i.e. boss

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , David Lang writes

I'm originally from Herts not Kent, but am certainly aware of gavver, but don't think I've ever used it. Same with rozzers, or bizzies in Liverpool. Not terms I used. Cops, coppers, plod, fuzz were fairly common. Even Dibbles when I was younger, as in Officer Dibble and Top Cat :-)

Reply to
News

Apparently it isn't..gaffer is assumed to derive from 'godfather' or 'grandfather'

Romany is a (group of) very old Indo European language(s) most closely related to Hindi.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The filth, if you were in London..

West End Central had a reputation far beyond its geographical boundaries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Five-O and Feds are common in London I believe.

Reply to
David Lang

We have polis.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My friends father was an inspector in West End Central and a colleague was a constable in the area. The reputation was well deserved as many of the force were from Glasgow and applied the same policing standards as they had used in the Gorbals.

Reply to
Capitol

I once read a large number of books written by John Wainwright (ex Yorkshire police). These may have been fiction, but as with most books (and ther were a lot of them) I thought it pretty clear that they were based on personal experience.

A great deal of 'rough and ready' policing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It was the endemic corruption and planting of false evidence that they were famous for.

The Natural Philosopher

Goddams?

Reply to
David Lang

Pigs, old bill, was the most common.

I had a couple of experiences of them nasty.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We had 'scuffers', too.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Yes, I had forgotten scuffers.

Reply to
News

Yes. It dealt mainly with vice. I take it that's why you are familiar with it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worth a gander:

polygonum

Thanks, I'd read that which confirms what I thought. Does it occur anywhere else in the UK though?

Reply to
David Lang

I'd certainly not heard it before your post.

polygonum