TOT Citizenship law

Is it true that if you're a Canadian and you apply for UK citizenship you have to pay £2,000 to apply, and if you make a mistake on the form it's rejected and to re-apply you have to pay another £2,000?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Maybe. If you're honest enough to go about it the legal way. My suggestion would be to get a ferry over to Calais, then steal a small boat and head North, taking care to dump your passport over the side into the drink as you go. If you make it anywhere near the Kent coast you'll be fine. You'll be very well taken care of by the Border Farce and all your worries will be over for the rest of your life; you'll never have to work another day as long as you live, either.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I somehow feel that this is not the case, having been peripherally involved in resettling of asylum seekers. The point is that it will eventually be known you are Canadian and hence not an asylum seeker. Also there are classes you need to go to if your English is poor(I wish the taxi minicab drivers would go on one) and also citizenship courses to explain the culture here. I know cos a Sri Lanken blind person went through all of this to become British a couple of years ago.

Its not all a bed of roses as is portrayed. The streets of London are not paved with Gold even though the smugglers of people con folk into thinking this way. As for the original question, applying to have more than one passport to be a citizen of both countries is quite complicated and thus I'd not be surprised if it was not costly. Most people would not embark on it cold though, and there are companies who can guide you through the hoops. Some countries require you have spent an unbroken time in the country before you can apply, as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Full details here:

(Canada is a commonwealth country and so in some cases citizens get preferential treatment)

Reply to
John Rumm

There are no legal asylum seekers in the UK. They have all passed through several safe countries where they could have applied.

Reply to
harry

It is perfectly legal for them to do so. In theory we don't have to accept them as refugees if they have done so, but they have committed no crime by asking.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The point is they're not genuine, though. IF they had been genuine refugees, they'd have gratefully sought safe haven in the very first country they'd arrived in; tired, hungry and exhausted. And they would comprise 99% women and children, NOT young, military-age men who should have remained behind to defend their homes and families. They are taking us for mugs and luckily for them we *are* being run by mugs.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But in many cases, they have committed a crime by entering the UK illegally - which if it were their first safe country would be perfectly acceptable, but not when they have passed through others on the way.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

what a silly person