Torx masonry screws

Do you mean frame fixings, which are normally hammered ito place, although the screws can be unscrewed. If it is lightweight blocks (normally pretty obvious because even wood bits will drill them) I'd be worried that rawlbolts could split them, especially if near an edge.

Reply to
newshound

The rawlbolts which gripped should stay in place if well tightened first. A smear of oil on the treads and expanding mechanism can help - but not obviously on the outside of the unit.

Hope your fingers are crossed.

But if the rawlbolt pulls out of its hole enough to hit the plate it should then expand fully when tightened. Which will at least give some additional strength.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll try that, thanks.

Incidentally, in the absence of a torque wrench how aggressive should I be in tightening the bolts? Will I damage them or compromise their grip if I simply do them up as tightly as I can?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Well, hell and damnation and similar.

The TV is now hung, the holding, even with two-and-a-bit bolts rather than three, seems more than adequate, but...

the hinged-arm support doesn't hold the set truly horizontal.

In fact it holds it nothing like horizontal. Even with the hinge-adjustment bolts tightened almost to the point of locking the whole thing up solid, the set is still at an angle, both with the arms extended and even in the against-the-wall position. There's no way I can live with it like that, so it's back to the drawing board (or possibly the TV-stand-on-casters even though that will take up a lot more room than I'd like).

Thanks to all for the thoughts and advice.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Generally, if you use a ring spanner etc the varying lengths of those according to size tighten to about the right torque with a firm pull. Unlike a socket set where there is just one size for the ratchet etc drive and easy to over-tighten with the smaller sizes.

I've not managed to break a rawlbolt using that technique.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, Dave; very useful.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not with a 50 mm standoff though.

Reply to
newshound

If you've used say "red" rawlplugs - tap a "yellow" one into the rawlplug in the wall. That will jam the "red" one in place and allow the screw to grip. In a previous life I fitted curtain rails and pelmets for my ex-wife. That (not the ex-wife - so much!) could be a challenge as the curtains were heavy and often needed to support the weight of a cat/toddler hanging onto them. :-)

Reply to
Kellerman

That's a nice tip, thanks.

Reply to