"Toothed" plastic CD holder things...

What *are* they called??

You know, the plastic parts of a cd rack that the cd slides into. Can they be bought seperately so that I can build them into a shelf unit?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

They can be got because this was one of my son's CDT projects at school. But I don't know where they got them.

Reply to
Mike

That's some comfort at least. I saw some on a Merkin website and they said to buy them from a "woodworking store". Right then...... :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Haefele have a selection of them

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in news:_r6dnd snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Ikea sell them i think .... i got some for dvds so i imagine they do them for DVDs too..

-- dkh

Reply to
dkh

Thanks. They're priced per hundred, and trade only, but at least I have an idea of what they're called now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Think that

sell them (if I have understood what you want) - parts 81064324 and 81064333.

Reply to
Rod

John Lewis have a Haefale order book in the kitchens department and you can order one-offs. Perhaps they can get these in one-offs if you quote the part number.

Reply to
Mike

That's the ones!! Many thanks, Rod, that was driving me mad. I've bookmarked Isaac Lord too.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'd avoid them. Nasty things, don't work very well and they don't work at all for non-standard cases.

I prefer stacking them edge-vertically on shelves with narrow dividers about 6" - 9" apart. Works better, packs more densely, easier to make too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Good. They are just around the corner for me so a natural place to look.

Reply to
Rod

That's what I have at the moment but there's no more room in the two cupboards in the tv/video unit I built. I made them, a good few years ago, with one horizontal dividing shelf to hold video tapes but now I find that each space is 1cm too low to fit two cd cases one on top of the other so there's a lot of wasted space above the single rows of cd cases, iyswim.

I wanted to use the vertical space by fitting those plastic things onto wooden dividers. However, having just had a measure up, and a closer look at the specs of the cd holders, I find that I can fit three of those holders side-by-side into each space so I can only get 39 cds in each space which currently holds 47 cds in one row!

Back to the drawing board :) I suppose I could just move the shelf lower and put another one in above it..... even though it's a big corner unit and the shelf's fixed in the corner....... a long way away....... where's that cardboard box gone?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Au contraire. We have used Haefele's various versions many times and have never had a complaint.

Narrow divider 6" to 9" apart will allow a cd case to fall flat if the bay isn't full.

Then one has to keep adding shelves to accomodate another row.

Using proprietary divider one can go to 800mm or more high on one fell swoop so all one has to do is insert verticals and fix the plastic dividers.

One of Haefele's versions is even spring loaded to pop out the cd. Very nifty.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

About a quarter of my CDs are in non-standard width packages. Either double/triple packs or card-based digipaks. I've yet to find a plastic insert that dealt well with these.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hefele can certainly cope with double/quadruple packs. The card based one will slip into the same slots as the normal ones and can still be sprung out.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann