Toolstation thumbs up

Just had my first order from them - I reckon screwfix have some serious competition there. The range is nowhere near as extensive as screwfix yet; maybe just about where screwfix were 3-4 years ago. But the prices are good and the service great.

A DeWalt 600mmx22mm SDS bit for £15!!

Reply to
Grunff

What are you going to do with that? and don't say drill holes. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Most of our walls are just over 450mm, so I can do them with my 450mm bit. But there's one wall that's about 550mm, and I need to drill through it.

Last time I drilled through it I had a 1000mm bit which came with a hired sds Max machine.

Reply to
Grunff

10,15,24mm*1000 bits all for 15 quid from ebay. There is no way I'll wear them out, as it's primarily for one sloping hole at 45 degrees through a 400mm wall.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sure, but if I'm going to spend £15 on a drill bit, I want a brand name on it!

Reply to
Grunff

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:38:20 +0100, Grunff strung together this:

I managed to find an Armeg 12mm x 1000mm for £20 from somewhere,, Screwfix probably. It's paid for itself already!

Reply to
Lurch

Well, 3 drill bits for 15 quid is not unreasonable IMO. I have real doubts that you'd see a brand name set of 3 1m SDS drills for much under 50 quid.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

True, but I have a problem with cheap drill bits - I've bought them in the past, and found them to be far inferior to quality ones. This applies to both masonry and hss bits. Having said that, I've never bought cheap sds bits, but I assumed the same would apply.

The difference I've found has been both in performance and durability (they start off pants and get worse quickly).

Reply to
Grunff

But 600mm length masonry bits are not going to get used that often, so if the cheap ones work it good enough. If you job is drilling 500mm holes though the whole balance changes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes never had any problems with toolstation orders, all delivered the next day and so far (touch wood) any missing items or breakages.

And agree with all the points about buying long drills Leaving asside the sharpness issue given the power of an SDS drill do you really want some unbranded bit of unknown quality taiwanese whatever steel rotating round at revs with it being hammered at the same time? Could be a very nasty accident if one were to fracture under that situation esp if a sideways force was applied as well

Visions of a potential hari kiri situation springs to mind

Cheap tools have their place but not in that dept!

Steve

Reply to
steve

Toolstation are good on price, but a couple of their items were so bad I couldnt do the job with them.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

What kind of items were they?

In this case, the bit was made by DeWalt, so no probs there.

Reply to
Grunff

Right - the problem items were both Silverline. Other silverline things have been fine.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton