Tools for tree pruning

Guess deals are so good - it's pot luck ... try eBay .. when I was looking there were some good deals on new products .. that is how I found that company.

Probably no good for a farmer ... but for gardener great.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The Ryobi 720W electric pruner is less than £100 and gets reasonable reviews so I've ordered one (even though the blade is a bit short) because it should be easier to extend the pole than with the petrol one. I'll probably get a long pole saw as well for the higher stuff.

It would be useful to get some feedback on whether the rope saws are worth bothering with

Reply to
Nospam

Thanks to all those who replied earlier. I bought a Ryobi RPP720 electric pole saw (a small chainsaw on a stick) from Amazon and spent a happy Sunday in the garden. To cut a long story (and branch!) short: it's the dog's dangly bits! A remarkable tool for less than £100, in fact it's so good I tackled some things that were too big really (200+mm diameter and 3m off the ground) but it coped. It would be good if the "blade" and pole were both slightly longer but it's a top boy's toy.

Reply to
Nospam

Glad it's done the job.

I always thought that even a small chainsaw on the end of a long pole would be really hard to handle unless you stand immediately below the cut & hold the pole exactly vertical - which doesn't seem like a good idea.

Not so?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

If its anything like the petrol one, then no - you can wield it any direction you like. The only thing you can't do it rotate the pruner head to allow reaching high up and also to cut sideways (i.e. the chain bar is always inline with the pole - although you can rotate it)

Reply to
John Rumm

The head is certainly not light (and I now have a few aches from using long-forgotten muscles - especially after a second session, yesterday) but it's easy-enough to use. I suspect that the head on petrol-powered versions is lighter but I'm going to extend the shaft by about 1.5 metres and that would be harder on the petrol units.

Reply to
Nospam

The petrol ones also have the weight of the motor, at the users end of the device, which at least does help counterbalance.

Extending the petrol ones is relatively easy - you insert additional shaft extensions between the motor unit and the business end. More than a couple (each about 600mm) might get to be unusable though.

Reply to
John Rumm