Tool shops in Geneva?

My last trip abroad was to Florida where, because I'm sad like that, I found their Home Depot outlets worth a look.

Now I'm planning to go to Switzerland and am wondering if anyone can recommend any tool shops, particularly in Geneva, where I'll be staying?!

Reply to
Murmansk

I don't remember seeing any. Just enjoy the ice cream, any diy stuff you want will be far cheaper back home.

Reply to
Animal

I worked there in 1970, and nothing was cheap then. Not even sure if Swiss Army Knives are good value. Good value food in the immigrant quarters, where the students ate, though. And, of course, safe.

Reply to
newshound

I didn't see any tool shops, and from memory DIY was frowned on in Switzerland, but if you enjoy such things, you may enjoy the tram museum:-

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Is this any help?

Colin Bignell

I don?t recall any, either in the city or the approach from France (we drove over the border while staying in France).

One of the cleanest cities I?ve ever seen. Reasonable parking - although it did feel like you were going to end up in Australia, the deepest underground car park I?ve ever seen.

The US DIY sheds put ours to shame. The French ones are good. Not quite to US standard but way ahead of ours.

Reply to
Brian

I find the French ones are just "different" from ours. They have far larger paints sections but less in the way of timber and such.

Reply to
Chris Green

I find they have more machines, power tools, and hardware. Plus chemicals you can?t buy- at least not easily- here. (Solvents etc.)

I?d not noticed the paint difference.

Reply to
Brian

Power tools seem much the same to me, their hardware (as in screws, nuts and bolts, etc.) can be better. I agree about 'chemicals', all sorts of things we just don't see over here.

Reply to
Chris Green

My mate's local Gamm Vert had a small still last time he visited.

Reply to
newshound

At Orford in Warrington, there used to be a single shop that sold two product lines - one was wine and beer making and the other was plumbing. I always thought that was an invitation to building your own still!

Reply to
Steve Walker