Hardware shops in USA

I'm going to Florida in a week or so

Because I'm very sad I like to take a look at local tool shops/hardware chain stores when I go abroad.

What chains would the panel recommend I look out for in the USA or, more specifically Florida - Orlando, Miami and Tampa?

I found Bunnings particularly good in New Zealand by the way!

Reply to
Murmansk

isn't it 'home depot' in the USA?

The Natural Philosopher

and thats dee-poe

Reply to
fred

Well that's better than deer poo

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Personally I always preferred Lowe's...

but that may depend on the area and what you were looking for.

For everything woodworking related though there is a Rocklers on the outskirts of Orlando which looks well worth a visit...

and there is a Lowe's close by too.

Reply to
Andrew May

Seems perfectly normal. As is checking out the estate agents.

Home Depot, Lowes are usually worth a look.

Sears used to be worth a visit but I believe all their shops have closed.

I've never visited a small HW shop in the US, I'm sure they exist, I just never saw one.

Florida is an interesting place. I always got the impression the 'paint was still wet' - every thing seemed new, even if it was intended to look old. Excellent seafood.

Reply to
Brian Reay

On a similar theme I enjoyed looking around an Outdoor Store. Guns, Camaflague, Hunting stuff - amazing range and well presented - Like to try a gun?

John

Sorry - wrong link to henting store - this one is right:

John

Walmart - just to see what it is like.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Slight thread drift but ... even if you only have a slight interest in aviation you should go to Fantasy of Flight, Kissimmee museum, etcetera

- google is your friend.

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

If you are visiting Tampa - then I recommend 2 places to go: Fort DeSoto (and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge) and Anna Maria Island (peaceful old Florida feel to it - great beaches)

Reply to
John

Nope.

Reply to
Ray

Ace & True Value are pretty good franchises of small/medium hardware stores. I have no idea if they cover Florida, though.

Reply to
Adam Funk

More thread drift, don't forget the Kennedy Space Center and tour. See if you can time it with a launch of something. I managed to see a shuttle launch from 14 miles away, the earth shook and the pressure waves thumped you in the chest...

Epcot was OK but don't know what it's like now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a mate who always buys steel tape measures when he is in the USA. He's an amateur carpenter and likes the way he can mark inches on either side of the tape.

Reply to
newshound

Weird All has a song called Hardware Store. Very funny. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

That's not sad.

I took the gf away for 3 nights to 3 different places. I knew the manufacturer of the switches and sockets at all 3 places we stopped at as soon as we walked in.

TBH I did rewire place no 2 so already knew what was fitted.

Reply to
ARW

In message <qsdqnc$1s5s$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Brian Reay snipped-for-privacy@m.com writes

US friends like Menards, but I think all their branches are central, not extending to either coast.

Reply to
Graeme

I should plug Hechingers, I recall going to Washington to help support their computers... Oh. Gone bust. Another bit of my history is gone :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Is there a connection ;-)