Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.
My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk jugs with red transmission fluid in them.
Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?
On 10/9/18 3:18 PM, K120 wrote:

Where did you buy the new fluid ? Usually they will take used for recycling.
Like: https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=environmental_responsibility

I buy the atf at O'Reillys. I called them up. They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it. No cross contamination is allowed they say. So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say. I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.
I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam. Thanks!
On 10/9/18 9:22 PM, K120 wrote:

You did "rinse" the milk bottles before filling with atf, right ;-)
"\"Retired"@Home.com posted for all of us...

Dishwasher
--
Tekkie

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 9:22:15 PM UTC-4, K120 wrote:

What does that mean? How would they or anyone know who sold oil that is now old and used? If you put a quart of product you bought there in and then drained 5 out, now what?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:11:18 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

They want to see a receipt that he bought atf. They might not insist on it.
Apple wanted a copy of the owner's drivers license and a power of attorney before they would unlock an ipad the the owner's late brother had locked. After I got all that stuff, he didn't ask for it, didn't look at it.
Walmart seemed to say they wanted the bar code number to pick somethiung up but they only looked at my name on my driver's license.

There are radioactive" markers that show where the oil was sold

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 21:22:11 -0400, K120

I noticed a sign at Firestone in Maryland that the law requires t hem to take it.
There is also a county site, where I think it is recycled. They have places for kerosene and antifreeze at the county site also.
What state do you live in?

Yes, the spam is disgusting. Bufor is a pig.
There were always a few OT discussions among regular posters, but he's still a pig.
On 10/9/2018 2:18 PM, K120 wrote:

  Many chain auto parts stores accept it for recycling . Or you could use it in a waste oil burner to melt aluminum and brass to cast into useful and decorative items . I wouldn't recommend it for a forge though , don't know what is in there that might contaminate your metal .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 10/9/2018 3:29 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I used to drop off oil at Pep Boys and once left a battery. You could just leave it near the shop.
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 3:39:40 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

y.

ould

I know Pep Boys takes used motor oil here. He could try similar auto parts chains. Also we have a county hazardous waste facility that takes antifree ze, oil, paint, just about anything like that.
On 10/9/2018 3:18 PM, K120 wrote:

Put it in opaque motor oil bottles.
On 10/09/2018 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The local garbage company specifies clear containers for pickup. I took mine (oil) to the HazMat Days last month and they didn't bitch about a gallon Rotella jug. They did hand a guy's brake fluid back to him though.
The oil drop off was separate from the rest of the operation. Unfortunately I got in the wrong line that I couldn't get out of and spent about 20 minutes fuming. The workers were unloading items piece by piece and carefully reading labels to see exactly what sort of hazardous substance it might be.
Screw that. There's a transmission shop in town that burns used oil in their shop heater. I'll bring it to them next time.

I take it to my friendly local transmission shop. Just like I take my used engine oil to the local "Canadian Tire" outlet where I buy my new oil

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.
On 10/09/2018 07:36 PM, catalpa wrote:

The one here does provided it's in a clear container next to the trash container.
On 10/9/2018 9:36 PM, catalpa wrote:

Ours had for the past 20 years or so. At first it was recycled somewhere but now they use it in an oil burner designed for it to heat the shed at the landfill.

Safety Kleen (BresLube) has re-refinery half way between here and the airport. 15Km to the airport. They re-refine a lot of the used oil in this area.
On 10/09/2018 09:36 PM, catalpa wrote:

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag mixed in with the rest of the trash.  They've never rejected it.

Send it to Al Gore.