Tool kit for lady houseowner

True. And when you have to replace the ceiling because you couldn't find a screwdriver to turn off an inline shut-off valve, when no shops were open at 3AM on a sunday morning, you'll be glad you can put the 3.99 towards the several hundred pounds plumbers and plasterers bill.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > gaffer/duck/whatever tape is a must. | > It's wonderful for taping up big mouths. | Before anyone feels slighted - I meant children's mouths.

You're not allowed to do that any more Mary.

Now go and let the grandchildren out of the cellar ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One assumes that you would have considered the purchase of a screwdriver before tackling such a project.

Or had the presence of mind to use a kitchen knife.

Or not started teh job at 3 a.m. om a Sunday.

Some people are simply too stupid to tackle DIY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was referring to an accident, needing a screwdriver (or other tool) urgently.

For example, if I had not owned a glasscutter yesterday night, I would have been unable to replace the 3 panes in the greenhouse (using spare glass) that broke early on during a lull in the wind, and may well have lost 10-20 panes. Obtaining cut panes of glass in the hour or so weather window at 6PM would have been difficult, if not impossible.

The 5 quid glasscutter saved up to 100 quids worth of glass being purchased.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Most would have used hardboard or similar as a temporary repair.

I personally don't like having glass lying around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And got it from?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Decent kitchen scissors at a pinch...

Lying around, like your glass.

I was only saying that playing around with glass - under poor weather conditions - isn't really to be encouraged for a beginner. Better to do a temporary repair and wait for better conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dressmakers scissors

Old cardboard boxes or cereal packets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you'd expect that to stand up to gusts of 90MPH driving rain?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Trabants did. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm 'other substances' .. or did you mean Semtex .. or KY Jelly possibly? That's good for .. em .. er ... well it won't rot rubber .. oh I know .. freeing a childs head thats stuck between railings .. ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

A chainsaw! That would work ...

For cleaning and restoring garden finds (e.g. rusted up bike wheels, secateurs and the like) I start with vegetable oil - or butter, lard, anything to hand - then washing up liquid interspersed with oil, I've never been beaten yet.

For removing intractable adhesives I use talcum powder.

Homely recipes which work are good, don't cost much, always to hand, safe and have other applications.

Don't have Semtex or KY but there have been times I'd have like to have some of the former ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not a good way to store it but I wouldn't have expextedanything else from that source ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He has to find a use for the packaging from his spare boilers ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just back from staying with the little bitc ... darlings for a pseudo Christmas. We've done something right - they were very enthusiastic about their longbows etc, made more arrows and said it was the best present they'd ever had!

But I'm not throwing away the tape. I don't care if it's not allowed, it's effective.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since you're quoting me, perhaps you'd explain yourself? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)