TomTom query

When I was on holiday we were staying at a farm cottage, well off the road network. I set up the location using grid reference instead. This worked fine for getting to the cottage, correctly showing all the tracks and minor roads. However, it would not set up any route (using the postcode) until we reached the main road and did not show the tracks. Any ideas what was going on?

Reply to
Scott

Postcodes in rural areas can encompass a huge area so are of little use when trying to navigate to rural addresses. (Or have I misunderstood your question?)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Unfortunately, yes. It found the address without difficulty using the grid reference instead of the postcode. However, parked at the address it would not accept any postcode to plan a destination. It showed a level of detail on the way in that was missing on the way out.

Reply to
Scott

Perhaps one was for ramblers and the other for drivers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No help with your TomTom but when I'm at a location that's off Post Code the car's satnav just draws a straight line to the nearest road that it knows about when I plot a route out.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

This was what I expected but it showed the lanes and farm tracks on the way to the destination but not when leaving the destination. I wonder if it needs two postcodes to plan a route? I assumed it would locate itself then plan a route to the destination postcode. We were both puzzled.

Reply to
Scott