TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version). Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses, and where the best place to buy a tool?

Reply to
Graham.

screwfix do a cheap set of many anti tamper bits (also available from RS, cpc etc.) If it's hex with a pin that should do it.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I'm intrigued, why?

Are you sure that it's not a star?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

To repair it. It charges intermittently. Giving it a thump restores charging, the green LED on the top remains lit regardless so its definitely internal. A dry-joint, or lose earthling screw maybe, I am sure I will find it when I get inside the case.

No, its like an alan key type head with a central spigot. Not a Torx etc.

Reply to
Graham.

With the torx ones, inserting an appropriate sized small screwdriver and giving it a quarter turn pings off the pin, and allows a standard torx tool to be used. Might work with alan key heads too. Close your eyes as you twist the screwdriver so the pin doesn't fly into your eye.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here

perhaps I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage. Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Reply to
Graham.

Ages ago I got a very similar set from Machine Mart. I'm pretty certain they still sell them.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Got a Screwfix counter nearby?

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks Adrian, Ill try to pop into Trafford Park tomorrow.

Reply to
Graham.

Only thing to check is they have one small enough in the set (not so much of a problem with hex, but certainly can be with torx).

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a similar set to the Screwfix one. In mine, Smallest Torx is T-8H, Smallest Hex is 5/64". A brief look at other suppliers (CPC, Maplin, eBay, Amazon) show the same lower limit for their similar "33-Bit security" product.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yup, I needed a small torx driver a while back, and eventually found a set of very small ones at CPC - the whole set carried on down from what is the smallest in most sets.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maplin. In little green jelly like case with about a dozen assorted bits .

Reply to
djc

"Tamper proof hex" are normally imperial sizes and a quite common. Bits are easily available in a kit, but on the larger sizes you can often remove the pip with a dremel. That sort of thing aren't too bad, what _really_ evil is counterbored 1-way clutch screws (managed to get one out of a canon charger recently though).

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Got to ask how?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , Graham. writes

Was going to ask if you wanted to borrow some (Altrincham) but if they're only 2.99 for a set......

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Thanks to all who responded. I got the little kit from Screwfix, the 5/64in one fitted well enough, but it was lose enough for me to suspect it should have been the metric size bigger. Anyway it's fixed now, a dry-joint on the power connecter caused by vibration because of the way it's mounted in the car. When I get time I'll put some pictures and notes on the web, I could find nothing myself.

The thought of my sat-nav letting me down was very scary, I haven't looked at a paper map for almost two years.

Reply to
Graham.

Nice of you to offer, but jobs-a -good'n (see my last post) I'm going to see if one of the other bits will open my faulty Tesco Value toster...

Reply to
Graham.

Generally it's not worth the bother of trying to repair throw-away type toasters - you can't get spare parts for them... A bit like jug kettles!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

This time plan A worked - lean very hard, turn very gently and the screwdriver bites on the steepest part of the ramp (use a slightly smaller driver than is proper for the head and it digs in a bit).

Plan B was a small drill into the thickest parts of the head and a "snake eyes" bit.

Reply to
Chris Hodges